• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Having SD Cards...

Interesting article here about flash memory cards, their internal controllers and hackability.

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554

The security aspect is scary enough, but I do like the thought of using a small card as a standalone microprocessor for light projects...

The hard part is identifying which controller you have for a given card and begging able to exploit it.

That's a good story, which actually leads to this article.
On MicroSD Problems « bunnie's blog

Apparently he was involved in Chumby production in China, and were having problems with fishy SDs from Kingston. And it talks about buying SDs from the SEG market in Shenzhen, well that's something I've done myself. LOL.

With manipulating the micro-controller in SDs, that's how they do the phonys. Specifically the ones that might state 32 or 64GB and appear to the OS as that capacity, but in reality perhaps they're only 1-2GB.

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones