• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Having trouble with Custom recovery on Jelly Bean

laer0302

Lurker
Sep 8, 2013
Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII. This morning, I used Kies air to upgrade it to Jelly Bean Build SPH-D710.GC01. I have been trying to install root access with a custom recovery all day and am having difficulties finding a kernel to download.

I've seen several threads on this board, as well as others, that point to the following thread to download the GC01 kernel with Agat recovery:

[KERNEL][JB][SOURCE][BST] GC01 + Agat's Recovery

However, the download link on that site appears to be broken.. When I click it, I just get a new web page that says "Web page not found" or something to that effect. Right clicking and selecting "save link as" also has no effect.

I've tried multiple browsers and multiple PC's and also on my phone. Still not luck.

I was able to get root access on my phone by installing the following file that I found at Rwilco12's android repository:

SPH-D710BST_GC01_1014517_Rooted_Restore.tar.md5

I would like to get a custom recovery setup to do back-ups and what not. I've learned that it is not possible to just flash a custom recovery without the kernel.

Does anyone know if the GC01 kernel with the Agat recovery build is hosted on another site? (I couldn'd find it at Rwilco12's site.) Or does someone have a copy of it that they could share via dropbox or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks for the response!

I already installed the "Full Restore" version from that website, and I have root access, what I want is root access with a custom recovery kernel. All the research I've done points to the link I posted in my original post, however the links on that site aren't working, and I am hoping someone knows of an alternative host or has the file to share via drop box or something similar.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Get the recovery kernel from the repository. you want the tar file to use with Odin or mobile odin. You can use the one for GB27 (that is just the build number for the Sprint labeled version of the same ROM). Get either the 0.4.1 or the 0.5.0 version.

Rwilco12's Android Repository - Downloads

The two ROMs are basically the same and only differ in bloatware, the kernel is the same.

Reactions: laer0302
Upvote 0
Get the recovery kernel from the repository. you want the tar file to use with Odin or mobile odin. You can use the one for GB27 (that is just the build number for the Sprint labeled version of the same ROM). Get either the 0.4.1 or the 0.5.0 version.

Rwilco12's Android Repository - Downloads

The two ROMs are basically the same and only differ in bloatware, the kernel is the same.

Thank you!! :D Finally got this to work! Now, just need to figure out which ROM I want to load.

I am curious, did anyone else have issues accessing the kernel I linked to in my original post?

Upvote 0
You don't have to use a Boost ROM. I actually run GB27. I did remove the bloat stuff like I always do. Almost all the Custom ROMs are based on the Sprint side, but will work just fine. You do need to change the settings for your MMS to work on them, but that is not hard to do...

BTW, welcome to the group.

I hope you enjoy your device. I enjoy using mine often. If you plan to do a custom ROM, read and follow the instructions in the original post thread for the ROM you want to try. This is very important as the custom recovery is tied to the kernel on this phone so when the kernel changes the recovery changes too. Always keep a copy of the recovery kernel you make a nandroid backup with so you can restore that backup. (example: you flash to an AOSP ROM that has a CWM recovery and want to restore your TW ROM with Agat's recovery).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones