• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello and He e e e l p !! Resizing aggro.

Hi there I'm new here but then I'm new to a Nexus 7 and getting on famously with all the incredible things it can do, apart that is from one. And with that I'm not doing well at all.

I will introduce myself - I'm an old bloke from the neolithic age and I have been computing since 1982 with Sinclair Commodore 64 and then right through 386 486 W 3.1 to W 7 64 bit. Internet Email in the early 1990s I did in DOS ! Yes in DOS using Telnet and I moved on to using a mouse! With Windows 3.1 through to W 7 64 bit and now I'm retired I can just mess around with things like this wonderful Nexus 7. However I've hit a snag.

Tearing what's left of my hair out trying to find how to Size down a photo. No apps on the Nexus work like the amazing Paintshop Pro (not just resizing but resampling) But all the recommended apps for Nexus ie Photo Editor; Image Shrink; Google Gallery; QuickPic; Photo Editor - I've tried them all have defeated me as I can't find any way to Re-Size images. All I can get to is Cropping which is not the same thing.

I only want to size down a screen shot to send to someone in email but the photo editing stuff will only leave the photo the same size or slightly reduced by cropping, and occupying about 850 k in the file-size (I prefer to email photos at around 150k)

The nearest I got from Photo Editor was cropping to a file size of 850k which produced a photo of 11mb! when expanded in a viewer and a pixel size of 2285 x1714. That's clearly ridiculous because it amounts to a real life print size of 31 inches by 24 inches - I only want 800 x 600 region for my emailing purposes.

What I can't fathom is why programs like QuickPic don't seem to have any menus for help or even controls for Editing available. I couldn't even get it to fetch photos from my gallery it was that un-helpful and un intuitive.

As a last resort I tried 'Image Shrink' and it told me in the advanced user settings, to click on the photo in Gallery and choose share with Image Shrink. But when I went to Gallery and selected the photo there was no "Share with" option for anything.

So after much sighing and thinking, I thought, the best thing is ask on here. You'll know surely where I'm going wrong. I hope so.

Any kind helpers there ?
In advance - Thank you
--
Plado

Answering this myself so nobody wastes time on it. By the great law of the Cosmic Fly-swat, I have solved this just 2 minutes after posting up the help quesion so please ignore this cry for help as I can now size down photos perfectly with a choice of sizes.

It was found when viewing the photo in Gallery (ie opening an individual photo to view) and selecting the strange 3-ball connected wonky icon on the top line.
This offered a drop down menu with "Image Shrink" as an option to send the photo to. If this is useful to any other readers - I fetched Image Shrink from the play shop. I think it cost about

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones