• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Labcat42

Lurker
Oct 13, 2012
I just purchased the new galaxy s3, coming from an iphone 4, and have to admit it is a rather steep learning curve, and have contemplated returning to apple a couple of times in the last few days, but am rather intrigued by all the options I have with this new android system. I am having a rather annoying problem though with notifications. I have gone through what I think are all my settings, and yet I am still getting a sound whenever I get a FB message. I cannot seem to get this to turn off. Can anyone give me some advice on this issue? I am glad I have found this forum, and have already found some great information here.

I just purchased the new galaxy s3, coming from an iphone 4, and have to admit it is a rather steep learning curve, and have contemplated returning to apple a couple of times in the last few days, but am rather intrigued by all the options I have with this new android system. I am having a rather annoying problem though with notifications. I have gone through what I think are all my settings, and yet I am still getting a sound whenever I get a FB message. I cannot seem to get this to turn off. Can anyone give me some advice on this issue? I am glad I have found this forum, and have already found some great information here.

Hi Labcat, welcome to the forums and welcome to the world of Android! :D

Like my sister, we welcome you from the iPhone world into the GS3 world. And yes, they're both great phones - just... different. And we're here to help make that learning curve less steep by answering your questions.

Sounds to me like you have the facebook app installed, and you're getting notification sounds every time someone does something. And you don't want that. Try this:

Open the facebook app and press the menu button (lower left). Hit Settings and there is a section called "Notification Settings". You can un-check "the "Notifications - Active" box and make it "Inactive". That should quiet your phone. If it doesn't, let us know and we'll keep digging.

EDIT: If you don't want to turn off all notifications, keep scrolling down Settings and you'll see a slew of things checked under "Messages" that you can un-check. Try that.

Remember to check out the Galaxy S3 forums right here:

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums

There are plenty of folks there to help you... and as you become more proficient, they will need YOUR help. I think you'll find us a pretty nice bunch to hang out with :)

Upvote 0
Hi Labcat, welcome to the forums and welcome to the world of Android! :D

Like my sister, we welcome you from the iPhone world into the GS3 world. And yes, they're both great phones - just... different. And we're here to help make that learning curve less steep by answering your questions.

Sounds to me like you have the facebook app installed, and you're getting notification sounds every time someone does something. And you don't want that. Try this:

Open the facebook app and press the menu button (lower left). Hit Settings and there is a section called "Notification Settings". You can un-check "the "Notifications - Active" box and make it "Inactive". That should quiet your phone. If it doesn't, let us know and we'll keep digging.

EDIT: If you don't want to turn off all notifications, keep scrolling down Settings and you'll see a slew of things checked under "Messages" that you can un-check. Try that.

Remember to check out the Galaxy S3 forums right here:

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums

There are plenty of folks there to help you... and as you become more proficient, they will need YOUR help. I think you'll find us a pretty nice bunch to hang out with :)
I had tried that, and it says that the notifications are off within the FB app, but yet phone still "whistles" at me everytime someone messages me. Thanks for helping

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones