• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help adjusting settings

goemonburo

Sep 20, 2017
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with my new s10e's settings or perhaps tell me if I'm asking for the moon.

1) I switched from a unlimited data plan to one where I pay per gigabyte, and would ideally like to lock certain apps (especially Instagram) to only use wifi. I've tried to google and it seems lots of methods describe the reverse -- only using mobile data. But I want to keep Instagram tied only to wifi.

2) Similarly, I'd like to have an easy way to turn off mobile data completely. Right now, I can do it in about 5 clicks, by going Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data > off ... but I think in my old phone there was a Mobile Data button there in the Settings (not sure what to call them, the buttons that show when you swipe from the top...flashlight, wifi, airplane mode, etc.). I looked and didn't see that option anymore. Is it still there? I just want to easily turn it on and off, minimizing the time I need to be fiddling with my phone to get it off (or on).

3) Lastly, in my Galaxy S6 I loved that I could get to the camera by double clicking the "Home" button. And that button is gone, replaced by a small square that doesn't access the camera when double-tapped. Is there an alternate way that I can get it, without swiping, in a tap or double tap?

Thank you in advance for any help.

1) I don't know a built in solution, but maybe you could use a firewall app to block access to mobile data for those apps.

2) You can certainly get a shortcut on the notifications. Try pulling the slide down fully, click on the 3 dot button and look for an option to edit the buttons. I don't have an s10e, but that's how it works on my s21 so it's probably similar.

3) You can probably add a camera access button to the notification shortcuts (see above). There may be an option in the "edge panels" (I'm again guessing that it has edge panels).

There may be other ways using Bixby or whatever but I turn that sort of thing off completely so don't really know about that.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
1) I don't know a built in solution, but maybe you could use a firewall app to block access to mobile data for those apps.

2) You can certainly get a shortcut on the notifications. Try pulling the slide down fully, click on the 3 dot button and look for an option to edit the buttons. I don't have an s10e, but that's how it works on my s21 so it's probably similar.

3) You can probably add a camera access button to the notification shortcuts (see above). There may be an option in the "edge panels" (I'm again guessing that it has edge panels).

There may be other ways using Bixby or whatever but I turn that sort of thing off completely so don't really know about that.

Thank you, @Hadron, these are useful suggestions. I probably can add it to the edge panel but I'm trying to get away from having to slide and swipe and tap...just want an actual button option (like repurposing the useless Bixby key?).

I will check into a firewall app! That's a good idea. And thank you for the suggestions on editing the buttons. I do have the "Edit Buttons" option like you say, after the 3 dots...but when I click it, no options are there for mobile data on/off. It just has others. Doesn't seem there's a "Make your own" either...

Again, thank you for the time!

Upvote 0
That's strange, because a mobile data button is a standard one, and certainly present on my Samsung (as it was in the Pixel and HTC One before that). Are you sure it's not already there, just further down the list (only visible if you pull the slide all the way down, or even do that and then swipe it to the left)?

You could customise the home button if you change launcher. Nova allows me to set a tap on the home button to open the camera (if you are on a home screen rather than in an app), or a double tap on the home page, or other gestures.

It might also be worth pressing the power button for a second and looking for a "side key settings" button (i.e. power button options), or search your settings for "side key". My s21 allows me to set it so a double press of the power key opens the camera (I'm lucky enough not to have a Bixby button).

Upvote 0
I thought so too, @Hadron -- but I've looked carefully (swiping through the three screens) and checked the available buttons. None say "Mobile Data." I know it was there on my S6 and on an older phone, too. So odd that it's missing, right? That was what I was hoping to find. I don't know anyone else with an s10e, but maybe it's something odd just on that model? Or maybe I am just staring right at it and not seeing it? (I don't think so.) What is it named on your device?

Upvote 0
https://9to5google.com/2021/12/08/android-12-internet-wifi-mobile-data-toggles/

This link above ALMOST had the solution, but it didn't work for the s10e until I used the word "MobileData" instead of "cell." I guess Samsung does something funky with its naming. But these two lines worked:

adb shell settings put global settings_provider_model false

adb shell settings put secure sysui_qs_tiles '$(settings get secure sysui_qs_tiles),MobileData'

I had to also get adb working, but on Lubuntu it was just a simple "apt get install adb" and I was ready to go. Hope this helps someone else out there.

Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What is it named on your device?
On my device it is named "mobile data". And from your ADB command I'm guessing that's what it's now named on yours?
Very strange that it had been disabled on your phone. Is it one bought through a service provider where they've modified the software (e.g. adding their own splash screen and apps)? If so maybe they turned the tile off (because they don't think people should be able to control their bills or something)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones