• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help choosing a phone. (Telus)

Triadic

Lurker
Dec 8, 2010
Hello,
I've had my HTC Hero for a year now but was thinking of upgrading it. I'm using Telus in Canada, BC.

Basically, I'm hoping someone can help me out in figuring out what the best phone I can buy is for the time being. I've done some research but with all the new phones coming out it's hard to keep up. :)

I was looking between the Samsung Galaxy S(Fascinate) and the HTC Desire Z. I'm really digging the larger screen and supposed longer battery life of the Galaxy S, but I hear bad things about the speed in which they release software. The Desire Z has a keyboard which I like but isn't necessary if another phone has better hardware overall, and if my experience with the Hero is concerned, I'm a little scared to think how often they will update the phone. My other concern is whether or not the Desire Z will work on Telus. GSM arena shows: HSDPA 850 / 1900 - North America, but Expansys, an unlocked phone site, shows it as: 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 Mhz (Quad-band)
- 3G: 900/2100 (Dual-band)
I'd probably believe GSM arena over Expansys but it's a concern anyways.

Hoping to find a phone that can get me the most longevity out of it. Gaming performance, quick rendering of webpages, and overall UI responsiveness is my most important concerns.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :) I'll probably be being the phone unlocked unless I decide to get the Galaxy S.

Thanks!

Hello,
I was looking between the Samsung Galaxy S(Fascinate) and the HTC Desire Z. I'm really digging the larger screen and supposed longer battery life of the Galaxy S, but I hear bad things about the speed in which they release software. The Desire Z has a keyboard which I like but isn't necessary if another phone has better hardware overall, and if my experience with the Hero is concerned, I'm a little scared to think how often they will update the phone. My other concern is whether or not the Desire Z will work on Telus. GSM arena shows: HSDPA 850 / 1900 - North America, but Expansys, an unlocked phone site, shows it as: 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 Mhz (Quad-band)
- 3G: 900/2100 (Dual-band)
I'd probably believe GSM arena over Expansys but it's a concern anyways.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

hmm..well, im not sure about what phones are availible for your network!
Are you sure ethier one of those phones will work with telus?

If io had to choose between the Galaxy s and Desire..i would PROBABLY choose desire.
The reasoning for this, which is all my opinion, i hate samsung.
All thier products ive had have been half way cheaply made and felt so. I have a galaxy s captivate (which i dont use anymore) and i loved it untill it started lagging, being super slow and never connecting to the internet or the market. I always had connectiong and my friends aria would always connect when i couldnt.

I love HTC's. They seem to make very dependable devices, and sense rules. They update extremely fast, and my captivate came out in july and STILL hasent gone too 2.2
And gingerbread may come out before samsung lets us get 2.2 man!!

I would choose Desire any day over a Samsung device but i may be a little bias. I love HTC and dont like samsung.

Sorry if anyone doesnt agree lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones