• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help chosing iPhone 4 or android device

AmieD36

Lurker
Jun 10, 2010
I currently have a iPhone which died without warning. AppleCare isn't able to help so I'm basically SOL.
I cannot decide if I should go with the new iPhone 4 or change to a android phone.
I recently purchased my daughter the backflip and sadly it seems to not come close to my 3G iPhone ( regarding speed and apps ).
The camera on the BF is much better and the keyboard is a great bonus. I'm not crazy about the motoblur but for a 11yr old it's great.I'm concerned about viruses , plus it seems to get stuck a lot when using the video camera.

I know that as of now that's the only AT&T android type device.
Is the OS on the BF different for other android phones ? Since she's only had it for a few weeks I'm considering bringing it back...

Priority for me is speed, Internet and email capabilities, camera and ease of use for basic phone functions. I'm not into games but more productivity type apps. Texting, social networking and navigation are very important.
Battery life and warranty are up there too.

I've seen the HTC phones but they feel to be a little junky.
I need a sturdy phone that runs smoothly.
The new iPhone seems good but apple isn't the best for customer care.
Any advice as to the best android phone out there?

I currently have a iPhone which died without warning. AppleCare isn't able to help so I'm basically SOL.
I cannot decide if I should go with the new iPhone 4 or change to a android phone.
I recently purchased my daughter the backflip and sadly it seems to not come close to my 3G iPhone ( regarding speed and apps ).
The camera on the BF is much better and the keyboard is a great bonus. I'm not crazy about the motoblur but for a 11yr old it's great.I'm concerned about viruses , plus it seems to get stuck a lot when using the video camera.

I know that as of now that's the only AT&T android type device.
Is the OS on the BF different for other android phones ? Since she's only had it for a few weeks I'm considering bringing it back...

Priority for me is speed, Internet and email capabilities, camera and ease of use for basic phone functions. I'm not into games but more productivity type apps. Texting, social networking and navigation are very important.
Battery life and warranty are up there too.

I've seen the HTC phones but they feel to be a little junky.
I need a sturdy phone that runs smoothly.
The new iPhone seems good but apple isn't the best for customer care.
Any advice as to the best android phone out there?

Unless you want to pay full price for a Nexus One, you will have to switch carriers if you want Android. Yes the backflip sucks for power users. No your daughter won't get viruses on her phone. Basically get an Incredible or EVO 4g depending on if you want to go to Sprint or Verizon. Or you could get a Droid if you switch to Verizon.

Upvote 0
Unless you want to pay full price for a Nexus One, you will have to switch carriers if you want Android. Yes the backflip sucks for power users. No your daughter won't get viruses on her phone. Basically get an Incredible or EVO 4g depending on if you want to go to Sprint or Verizon. Or you could get a Droid if you switch to Verizon.

^ This, or wait for...sometime this year, for a "decent" (possibly not great) Android phone on T:

http://androidforums.com/t/79241-predict-5-t-android-phone.html

Upvote 0
Not trying to be an ass but HTC phones feeling junky is laughable, outside of Apple nobody makes better hardware then them in the phone industry period.

As far as AT&T goes, the current Android based phones they have are a joke, and AT&T has 0 ETA on anything high end coming. I'll assume you don't want to switch carriers because I imagine your daughter you referred to is on a family plan with you, so your only option is to buy a Nexus One for $527 or get an iPhone 4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones