• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help diagnose serious failure, Droid1

mordo

Mar 15, 2010
Mobtown
Wow, I've got a Droid that's having serious seizures or strokes and could use some help diagnosing it. I suspect a hardware failure but would like some other opinions.

I was running SS 5.3.3 but only at 600Mhz and the phone was working very well. I was streaming some podcasts with Stitcher in the car and when I got home, I had the phone in my hand and I feel a pulsating, vibrating notification. I look at the display and the lock slider is pulsing with the vibe. When I unlocked the phone, it started opening apps, calling contacts, playing music, etc. The four control buttons were unresponsive. The touch screen is only occasionally responsive.

I've wiped and done a factory reset, recovered to last good back up, flashed new ROMs, all to no avail. The same problem recurs each time I boot the phone. I suspect a failure in the touchscreen but can't be sure. I want to try to eliminate any software issues before I give up on it and replace it.

Has anyone else experienced such a failure? Any ideas?

cheers,
mordo

Thanks - I have read that. In fact, shortly after posting I saw a thread on this very subject, one that did not appear in my search results. It seems this is a known issue and the majority opinion is that it's hardware related.

The last charge I was using was an OEM auto charger, FWIW.

I've abandoned the Droid. Our corporate account allow me an upgrade so I'm moving on.

Cheers,
mordo

Upvote 0
Wow, I've got a Droid that's having serious seizures or strokes and could use some help diagnosing it. I suspect a hardware failure but would like some other opinions.

I was running SS 5.3.3 but only at 600Mhz and the phone was working very well. I was streaming some podcasts with Stitcher in the car and when I got home, I had the phone in my hand and I feel a pulsating, vibrating notification. I look at the display and the lock slider is pulsing with the vibe. When I unlocked the phone, it started opening apps, calling contacts, playing music, etc. The four control buttons were unresponsive. The touch screen is only occasionally responsive.

I've wiped and done a factory reset, recovered to last good back up, flashed new ROMs, all to no avail. The same problem recurs each time I boot the phone. I suspect a failure in the touchscreen but can't be sure. I want to try to eliminate any software issues before I give up on it and replace it.

Has anyone else experienced such a failure? Any ideas?

cheers,
mordo

Crazy! As mine has just started doing this yesterday too. It was almost like someone had control over it. The 4 buttons near responsive, opening apps like crazy, punching in texts, etc. just like you said. Started around noon. Flashed with a newer rom (LG 1.4) and while the crazy behavior is gone the home button no longer works as well as the display from the home button to the top of the display. So take the width of the home button and go straight up from it...all dead. The third row icons on any screen are now useless as is a dialer if you need to dial any numbers in that third row. I am totally bummed as I do not get an upgrade until July and I don't want to pay for this to be fixed with so little time left. I don't think it was the rom at all, I think the display shorted somehow. And my Droid is in great shape so I don't know how this could have happened...

Upvote 0
Way weird. On mine it was fourth row. Happened to be the row where my calendar and Maps icon were. So, it would open the calendar, create a new event and then find an input field and start typing, "Mkmkmkmkmkmkmkkmm..." for a hundred lines if I let it. Or it would open Maps and start searching random searches previously entered, zooming in and out, etc.

I tried multiple ROMs including a clean stock ROM, several different kernels, all to no avail. Kooky. I found that if I rebooted, I'd get about 20 seconds of normal action before it went haywire.

I didn't have an upgrade on my number but others in the corporate account were eligible so I used one of those.

Upvote 0
Way weird. On mine it was fourth row. Happened to be the row where my calendar and Maps icon were. So, it would open the calendar, create a new event and then find an input field and start typing, "Mkmkmkmkmkmkmkkmm..." for a hundred lines if I let it. Or it would open Maps and start searching random searches previously entered, zooming in and out, etc.

I didn't have an upgrade on my number but others in the corporate account were eligible so I used one of those.

Lucky you had another account to upgrade on. At least the back button can at least get me out of apps though losing that whole third row all the way up is annoying. I'll have to limp until July... I just hope that it doesn't continue widening!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones