• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help find how to un-brick or recover data from bricked ZTE Grand X Max +

Simon M

Lurker
Oct 18, 2015
OK so I am actually in a pretty desperate situation because I have a lot of really important data on my phone like pictures and contacts that I really need to recover.

Details:
-ZTE Grand X Max + on Kitkat 4.4.4
-Rooted with Kingroot
-TWRP Recovery installed
-Cricket

Ok so here's a little background on my device.
About i would say august 2015, I had discovered my phone sitting in a small puddle of water and it wasn't working for 2 days but with some rice and taking out the MicroSD slot and Simcard slot it started working and I've been using it since.

I've been researching for a bit and with everyone talking about the difference between Soft and Hard bricked devices, i've become a little confused as to what my phone is.

When the phone is dead and I hold the power button alone, it vibrates every 2 seconds and the red LED flashes.
When I first discovered the phone a week ago it was dead so I plugged it into the charger and all it does everytime I charge it and power it on is stay at the boot up logo of the phone and powered by android logo and sits there all day until the battery dies. Now, If i let it die and plug it in again withOUT holding the power button, it shows an empty battery with a caution sign and the words "The battery is critically low. Please allow the phone to charge for a few minutes before powering it on." This is normal for the phone when dead. (it is noteworthy to add that leaving it alone will show the same battery going from low red to full green, signifying that it is charging) This is the only time however that my computer will recognize it is connected, not on the boot up screen. however, when recognized and left alone at the battery screen, no programs nor the computer itself can detect the files. only the sleep and charge Toshiba notification comes up and the jingle notifying me that something is connected. when it is charged and stuck on the boot up screen, holding the power button alone does nothing, it will only vibrate and start up again. Ive tried holding the volume down and power button when in the boot screen, but it does the same. I have also tried this with both up and down volume and power but sometimes (not anymore) the LED will flash red and green. When I hold the volume up and power, the regular boot up will start up again, except if i hold it long enough, it does this weird thing where the screen burns out and glitches the words saying android and grand x max plus a bit. when it finishes darkening, nothing else happens. I am assuming the burn out is coming from TWRP? While it is burning out, swiping down on the screen or long pressing on the screen will make the phone vibrate. I think it is safe to say it is "soft"- bricked?

anyway, I haven't tried SDK yet because it seems really confusing and i dont actually know how to operate it or what it does so if anyone can explain, please make it a little simple.
Thank you very much for reading this and if you know anything regarding my drastic situation, please help.

Honestly i don't know the difference between a soft brick and a hard brick. What I do know is that my phone just did the same thing. and i got it working again. The thing is you are going to need to do a system recovery. When i First rooted my phone with kingroot i used twrp to setup a system recovery on my sdcard. all u have to do is boot into twrp (volume up and power button) its going to do the burning screen thing wait about a min or 2 and hit the power button go to restore. at the top it will say storage. tap it and select microsd and hit ok. the file should be there tap it make sure that system and boot are both marked. then swipe to restore an thats it. your phone should boot right up no problems.

Upvote 0
Soft Brick: when your phone is stuck in a bootloop, and as the name implies, is caused by a software error, usually the lack of a system to boot from or some other minor software bug that glitching boot. They are easily fixable by reflashing your ROM in recovery.

Hard brick: your phone is completely unresponsive and the problem is caused by a hardware malfunction or flashing a ROM that isn't for said carrier. If this is the case for you, then your phone has become a very expensive brick (hence the name) or a very cool paperweight. There is not much you can do in this case.

Upvote 0
Soft Brick: when your phone is stuck in a bootloop, and as the name implies, is caused by a software error, usually the lack of a system to boot from or some other minor software bug that glitching boot. They are easily fixable by reflashing your ROM in recovery.

Hard brick: your phone is completely unresponsive and the problem is caused by a hardware malfunction or flashing a ROM that isn't for said carrier. If this is the case for you, then your phone has become a very expensive brick (hence the name) or a very cool paperweight. There is not much you can do in this case.

What if you f***ed up and now cant boot to recovery? I accidentally edited a system file "/system/bin/linker" to be exact.. I went back to TWRP to restore my backup... flashed boot partition....forgot to flash switcher..Brick... now i cant boot into rom and i dont have a recovery... Vol- & +Power boots to FTM and Vol- & Vol+ boot to black screen with QHUSB_BULK... not to hijack thread but i need some help! ive tried everything from qhusb unbrick ... qpst emmc reprogramming... i have full backups from TWRP but obviously since the system is RO i cant "dd" or anything...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones