• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help for the iPhone converts

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
I've recently seen quite a few posts from new users of Android who are coming over from the iPhone, but wanting features like banner alerts and lock screen notifications, a cleaner, uncluttered status bar, and badge alerts, among others. i have been the same way, loving Android and its freedom but also missing many things about iOS that Android couldn't fill to my satisfaction 100%

There is this launcher known as Espier Launcher, that does exactly that though. it brings the iOS look (and now iOS 7 if you want it) to Android complete with the notification centre (and the status bar without dozens of icons populating it). it also supports plugins (sadly, they are payware but cheap) that enable banner and pop-up push notifications, badges, and even notifications on the lock screen. if anyone is coming from iPhone and wants a transitional or familar UI, this should help. the iOS 7 version is amazing and a lot of detail is put into it (it even has a decent mockup of the control center sans blur effect) but alas, some of the themed apps (dialer, browser, preferences panel, etc) are stuck in the skeuomorphic iOS 6 UI. I'm guessing they're still updating it to support the new look so give them time.

asarahuh.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm glad that ios converts come by, but personally I hate the ios launcher, just my opinion :p

Also I don't mean anything against you or anyone who likes the ios launcher looks, but if you convert to android, I think the home screens modification abilities should be the biggest reason.. (see my photo below)

As you can see, its still obviously android, but its custom, even though you "can" do this with espier, I would call it somewhat of a "new android convert launcher" just to get used to android.

Btw great thread and great for any converters out there ;)

uploadfromtaptalk1382672555792.jpg

Upvote 0
Personally i prefer badge counters over a clogged-with-icons status bar. i don't mind the notification shade but i wish they would just hide the tons of icons from it when it's not pulled down. perhaps it's just my OCD but having tons of icons populating the bar and then hiding things i actually want up there like my clock or signal bars (if there are enough icons from notifications it tends to hide those more relevant things) is just too messy and cluttered.

Another one of iOS's best features (which i'm surprised Google hasn't added to Android yet) are the notifications on the lock screen. why should i have to unlock my device and pull the shade down if it's faster to just hit the power button and see?

Honestly, one of Android's biggest benefits is that it can act and look (and sound) just like any phone or tablet you like, without having to purchase them. you can get an iPhone, BlackBerry Z10, Windows Phone, Meego Phone, any phone you like, on the same device. if that's not enough, you can turn a tablet into a cheap wifi-phone too. There's even an old-style LCD monochrome theme/launcher for the old folks who still carry a Nokia 5100-series and are coming to Android.

Upvote 0
Personally i prefer badge counters over a clogged-with-icons status bar. i don't mind the notification shade but i wish they would just hide the tons of icons from it when it's not pulled down. perhaps it's just my OCD but having tons of icons populating the bar and then hiding things i actually want up there like my clock or signal bars (if there are enough icons from notifications it tends to hide those more relevant things) is just too messy and cluttered.

Maybe it's the ROM you use? My notifications never cover the signal and clock up there. If there are more than 5 notifications, it shows 4 icons and an arrow with "+" icon indicating there are more notifications.

Another one of iOS's best features (which i'm surprised Google hasn't added to Android yet) are the notifications on the lock screen. why should i have to unlock my device and pull the shade down if it's faster to just hit the power button and see?

Maybe they have a patent. :) Samsung is only allowed to have a lockscreen notification of a number and icon, but not an exact notification like the one on the iPhone.

Upvote 0
This is my motto: I'll try anything once if it makes sense, twice if I like it, three times to make sure ...and I'm actually liking it.

I will however, eventually.. go back to Sense UI, though. I just wanna show off to my iPhone friends.. Hey, look...I finally got an iPhone. Lmao! :D

Edit: One thing i don't like so for is the time it takes to populate ...meaning the wait to get back to the "home screen" after pressing the home button. :(

Upvote 0
i don't have any such wait, i have a Galaxy S3. i do, however, have the 'redraw lag' when i hit home on the Nexus 10 from the same launcher. not sure why though.

i actually fooled people with it, mostly to show them what iOS 7 looks like (they haven't upgraded and want to know more about it). i got it pretty authentic even down to the notification, lock/unlock, battery charge sounds. of course, Android is still there, iOS 7 doesn't support 'widget pages' or 'widgets in taskbar' like Android does.

As for the icons populating the bar, i hated it, always have. why do i need five Facebook, three email, one Gmail, and two weather thingies in there? all i want is a clean, organized status bar, with only the important things (battery, signal, clock) and only revealing notifications when i swipe down. i'm pretty active on my S3. every time i turned the screen on the top bar was cluttered with tons of icons. all. the. time. drove me nuts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones