• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help: Google Play Services not working after battery replacement

thepep

Lurker
Dec 4, 2014
My phone is 2 years old and the battery wasn't holding charge anymore. Went on youtube and found a video tutorial for replacing the battery. Looked simple enough. I ordered a new genuine Motorola battery ($25 for EV40) and tool kit for $6. Did everything per the tutorial and successfully replaced the battery. Only real challenge was completely hooking back up the two ribbon cables that connect the screen to the motherboard (at first my screen didn't come on then after getting that to work the touchscreen wouldn't work but eventually got both to work).

After getting the screen to completely work I noted that the Date/Time was wrong. Time is off by exactly 2 hours and the date is 1970. When I disable "get time from network" and try to set it manually it doesn't hold the change. I also keep getting a Google Play Services error. I cannot access email, yahoo IM, Google Play store. What works is texting, phone and I can access the internet with Google Chrome browser. I called Verizon support and the Rep reset the network (didn't work) and we did a Factory Reset (same problem. no change).

She suggested that maybe somehow I damaged the antenna during the battery replacement. I was careful during the swap but won't discount anything since nothing to this point works. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions as to what could be the cause and what to try? If the problem is/could be the antenna does anyone know where it is and could describe or attach a picture? I saw one picture on the internet for a Droid Razr HD and it showed five antennas (Main, LTE, WiFi/Bluetooth, SVDO and NFC). Any idea which antenna would cause the problems I'm experiencing? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forums . to make a long story short . all you need to do is wipe data from both Google play services and Google play store . the play services will take you to a white screen . scroll down to the last box tap the box it will put you back into manage apps . at that time when you see all data has cleared move to the Google play store tap wipe data . it wont take you to another page . now reboot your device and you should have play store movement. O I forgot to say this is all located in the device manage app > all apps scroll down to Google play services and play store are in the same spot

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forums . to make a long story short . all you need to do is wipe data from both Google play services and Google play store . the play services will take you to a white screen . scroll down to the last box tap the box it will put you back into manage apps . at that time when you see all data has cleared move to the Google play store tap wipe data . it wont take you to another page . now reboot your device and you should have play store movement. O I forgot to say this is all located in the device manage app > all apps scroll down to Google play services and play store are in the same spot

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately performing the actions which you suggested did not solve the problem. Google Services cannot access the network.

Upvote 0
can you get on the internet etc.?
Yes but only on non-secure sites. Having read everything I could find on the internet regarding this problem and the error messages on my phone I think the root of the problem is the fact that I can't change the date/time on the phone and therefore secure websites see it as fraudulent and don't allow access.

I have no idea why I can't change the date/time. Tried everything to no avail.

Upvote 0
apparently it went to the devices zero date. The reason for 1970 instead of 1900 is that with the Y2K bug that was the solution. They were all geared for 99 years from 1900 meaning at 2000 the counter would turn over then cause all the issues. Instead they too the zero date from 1900 to 1970 making the turn over issue at 2070. Hopefully all devices by then no longer have the 2 digit dewey decimal limitation and another turnover issue will not exist. The flip side to that is hopefully someone remembers there could be an issue then as it would be easy not too see it and forget about the solution, as most do today.

Do you then have root access? The reason is even play store may have an issue with the time and date.

edit; for the 2 hour issue try changing the time zone.

Edit 2; Again if rooted, not sure if this will work otherwise (ADB).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7094772/how-to-set-android-device-date-time-programmatically

Last edited:
Upvote 0
apparently it went to the devices zero date. The reason for 1970 instead of 1900 is that with the Y2K bug that was the solution. They were all geared for 99 years from 1900 meaning at 2000 the counter would turn over then cause all the issues. Instead they too the zero date from 1900 to 1970 making the turn over issue at 2070. Hopefully all devices by then no longer have the 2 digit dewey decimal limitation and another turnover issue will not exist. The flip side to that is hopefully someone remembers there could be an issue then as it would be easy not too see it and forget about the solution, as most do today.

Do you then have root access? The reason is even play store may have an issue with the time and date.

edit; for the 2 hour issue try changing the time zone.

Edit 2; Again if rooted, not sure if this will work otherwise (ADB).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7094772/how-to-set-android-device-date-time-programmatically

Ahhh that is an explanation that makes sense although why it would do that in the first place after just replacing the battery is a mystery..and why wouldn't a Factory Reset fix it? Play Store is definitely affected by the problem. Since I did the Factory Reset I have to add my Google Account in order to access Play Store. When I attempt to add my existing account I get the error message "There was a problem communicating with the Google Servers."

Yes, changing the Time Zone fixes the time issue but its the date that apparently is the real problem causing all the access issues. I do not have root access and have no experience with that although I did read about it on the Web.

Upvote 0
Computers have a cmos battery to protect from this. Even if so you can get to the base OS level to fix this. Since the internal clock is system privilege access, Linux system level, you need root access to correct this. Just an FYI that is essentially what it means, Linux system root level access.

If you do not already have root access then it is essentially too late as the newest patch has disabled the bug that allowed us to get it. About the last hope, and I doubt this too, is for a tech support person at the store being able to use root access. I know if they loaded the dev version of android it should give root access and then be fixable.

Upvote 0
Computers have a cmos battery to protect from this. Even if so you can get to the base OS level to fix this. Since the internal clock is system privilege access, Linux system level, you need root access to correct this. Just an FYI that is essentially what it means, Linux system root level access.

If you do not already have root access then it is essentially too late as the newest patch has disabled the bug that allowed us to get it. About the last hope, and I doubt this too, is for a tech support person at the store being able to use root access. I know if they loaded the dev version of android it should give root access and then be fixable.
Thank you very much for your opinion/advice!!

Upvote 0
Had the same issue, and i fixed it. I have the motorola hd phone , one xt925 wouldn't boot, the other a xt926m i ordered red from the net. Bigger battery, started to swipe screens to see if was a screen issue , then swipe the motherboards, both phone worked,,, except the rear cameras .
But know , the time and date is wrong, on my xt926 and a date after on my xt925!!, took me a couple of days to figure out what cause it and was not able to change the date. I did everything but flash the phone..
I reswiped the parts all together, THE DATE and YEAR was corrected automatically. On the xt926m .
To fix the problem swipe back the batteries back and forth use the correct charger with the correct cable to ensure the right amps for theses batteries. , theres something called battery memory , was a huge problem back in the 1990s .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones