• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help! Hero wont turn on?

jane_uk

Lurker
Jul 17, 2010
Dam!

I had a orange branded hero and set about modding it.

I used flashrec and recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img.

I did everything the noobie guides state and it seemed to have worked.

I then flashed with a custom rom 2.9-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip.

after a while, the phone was successfully de branded - thank you all.

B U T !!!

Then i wanted to flash the phone with h3g uk official rom, as my phone was unlocked and i had a contract 3 sim .

I was told to flash splhard1_update_signed.zip.

I did this and since then my phone wont switch on?
I have tried removing battery, home & power but the phone just stays blank...

Help please urgently required...

thanks guys...

J:mad:

Why were you flashing an SPL? You shouldn't have had to do that, you could have just flashed the 3UKFirmware.zip. I've never flashed an SPL my self, but apparently it's possible to brick your phone using them.

So the phone won't boot at all? Or can you still get to the recovery menu with home + power? (Make sure you have some charge before trying that of course). If you can get any life out of the phone then there's a good chance it's recoverable.

Reactions: jane_uk
Upvote 0
I dont know what a user told me to use the spl file.

All i wanted was a 3 uk image.

When i downloaded the official 3uk rom, and run the file, it wouldnt install, it failed.
This is why the user suggested using that file...doah

Im in trouble now though, as there is no response from the handset whatsoever - despite the battery been fully charged.

it wont boot at all - despite all my efforts

Upvote 0
I think I get why they might have suggested that, but there at least two other, much safer, ways of getting what you wanted =/

So, the battery is charged but you can't boot normally or into the recovery/fastboot menu (power+back). Or even a factory reset? (Home + Power + Back)? I don't think that would help anyway, but like I said, we're just aiming for any signs of life out of it.

What about when connecting to the pc? What shows up on the pc when you do that? How about running the official update for your phone?

EDIT: Apparently a failed SPL flash messes up the motherboard. I don't know if it's something you could fix yourself.

Upvote 0
I know nothing about this so unfortunately I can't offer any words of comfort.

This is just the kind of thing that made me so nervous about rooting my phone in the first place. Xyro or any other knowledgeable person, could you please explain what has happened. What is an spl file, how is it different to flashing a rom.

Is it possible to get this kind of result by flashing a rom.

Hopefully we can learn from (what I seriously hope doesn't turn out to be too expensive) your mistake.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong; SPLs aren't something I know much about. But here's how I understand it.

The SPL is part of the bootloader of the phone. So essentially, it's the first thing to get activated when you turn on the phone. Then it starts up everything else, like the android OS. The SPL is, I think, the reason you can't install branded firmware on unbranded phones, downgrade firmware or install unsigned firmware. I think that's why the person recommended to Jane to replace it, so 3UK branded firmware could be installed on an Orange branded phone. But, like I said, there are much safer ways of doing that, like using a goldcard.

So the SPL, radio and firmware are all separate eneties. Even if you were to screw up flashing firmware, your phone will be recoverable. So no, you're not going to brick a phone like that. But if you try to flash either of the other two and it gets interrupted, you may well brick it.

Jane, if you can't coax any signs of life out of the phone, your best bet may be to call up HTC/your network/your insurers and plead ignorance. I have heard of other people getting theirs replaced like that, so all hope is not lost :)

Upvote 0
Ok. So here's how I understand it. The SPL is a bit like the BIOS for a computer. It's the first thing that starts and tells everything else to start.

I can certainly see how that could cause severe problems.

Not that its the same company, but in the past I've had a couple of Nokia phones that broke. I. Sent them back and got either a new phone or a repaired phone.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Yeah, again it's still a bit over my head but it seems to go: BIOS --> Bootloader --> OS. When it's activated, the BIOS (on the Motherboard), starts activating other hardware and looks for bootable devices. When it finds a bootable device, in this case the phone's internal memory, it activates the bootloader (IPL+SPL) on that device, which then loads the OS.

Like when I turn on my laptop, I see the first few screens of life, then my bootloader giving me the option to load windows or linux.

So if you've broken the bootloader, there are no bootable devices to be found and nothing happens. Although that's happened to me on PCs before, and it's possible to recover them pretty easily. Obviously, being a phone, things must be handled differently.

Any luck so far Jane?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones