• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP - keep losing all on screen shortcuts/widgets

I'm not sure if this issue has been affecting anybody else, but recently (post Donut update) I'm noticing that it's a very frequent issue.

Any time I'm in an application - mostly OS based ones like Text Messaging or the Android Market ... when I hit the home key - all three sections of my home screen are blank.

I can swipe back and forth, but they're all blank. Nothing I do causes the screen to refresh and repopulate all the icons.

The only thing that works is rebooting the phone, which I don't want to have to be doing every single time I use messaging (that's when this happens the most) ...

I ONLY have one widget running (Gaming Buzz) and I hope that's not the problem because I really like that one.

has anybody else been having this problem? Is there a solution?

I have a similar problem and others have On their HTC Magic ,

They can Finish with an app , when it's on the home screen it is blank and it takes a few seconds for the screen to reload all the Widgets..... Unfortunately it sounds like yours do not reload at all :/

I started to experience this when I was still on 1.5 a few months ago and even with Donut hasn't sorted it , Nor have I pinpointed what is causing it :(

Upvote 0
After a dozen or so reboots the memory seems cleaner coming out of applications, maybe it was some random background upload/download that was happening causing a fatal hang of the home screen shortcuts/widgets.

With the random collection of software I (and the rest of us) have running it would probably be impossible to track it back to a single background operation.

Oh well, if anybody has any thoughts they're welcome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones