• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP: Marketplace broken, factory reset wont fix.

yodnnee

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Hey,

in short: I cannot access the Andriod marketplace, I've tried formatting my SDcard and performing a factory reset, still nothing.

in long:
I was until last week running a Task Killer app and a Toggle Settings app on my HTC magic, I decided to uninstall both (as well as Weather Bug).

This decision was made after I had recieved an OTA update to Firmware 1.6, which had appeared in my Task Killer widget as several small Andriod icons, which i accidently killed. Would this have effected the update? As, even though my phone claims to have fireware 1.6 installed, I've noticed no changes to the phone since the update.

AND

I have since not been able to access the Andriod Marketplace, whenever I try to use it, my screen turns white for 2 seconds (notification bar still visable) then returns to the home screen.

My first question is what might have caused this problem?
An interputed update?
Or the uninstallation of either of the forementioned apps?
Could Task killer have left the Marketplace permenantly killed?
Or could Settings Toggle have left something permenantly toggled off (even though there was no direct market toggle)?

Secondly, does anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this issue?
I found a Youtube tutorial on downgrading a HTC myTouch firmware to 1.5, but I thought I'd check in before I did anything rash.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTC Magic (myTouch I assume?)
Firmware 1.6 (illegedly)
65.50S.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
andriod-build@apa26#19
DRC92

Vodafone.
Australia.

No idea what caused it without looking at your phone but killing an OTA update cannot be good. I suggest you try going into...

Settings > Applications > Manage applications > (wait several decades for it to load) > Market and clearing the cache to see if that sorts it first.

If that doesn't help you might need to see about re-applying the update to fix any missing or corrupted files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones