• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help me choose a budget rugged phone

ElvenNeko

Lurker
Aug 15, 2023
My fellow mp3 player is beyond repair, and it's sad to go out without music. So i am thinking about replacing it, and my old nokia cellphone on the smartphone.
If nothing bad will happen, i should be able to save around 60$ till the end of this year. That's my budget. But i can save a bit longer maybe, to get better thing. Also maybe prices will reduce next year. But i need to know first how much exactly i need to save, so i need to decide what i want.
Territorially - Ukraine, but i won't buy here cause everything is overpriced here, i will buy on Aliexpress.
Requirements - rugged (protected) since everything falls from my hands, long-lasting battery, preferably external reset button or removable battery. I will not use it for internet or games since i have pc for that, so just music, and occasional calls.
I never owned a smartphone, only helped mother a bit with hers, so idk what else should i look for when i pick one. Maybe something that won't require any additional tweaking?
The models i looked for so far:
1) https://shorturl.at/ehF03
Good looking, good price, terrible battery and even more terrible reviews. Why? Because of the battery?
2) https://shorturl.at/epDY9
Seems like a good thing overall except small battery. Also reviews say that company that makes this phones instals ads and unnesesary thing that's hard to remove, is it true?
3) https://shorturl.at/emHX7
Maybe best option i saw so far (that, or t5 pro that's cheaper and has larger battery), though way over my budget. But maybe it will go on sale next year, or just become cheaper?
4) https://shorturl.at/nrA12
Another option that's way over my budget but it has the excellent battery i am looking for. The downside are it's weight, half of the kg, and since i am quite weak due to disability, i don't know if it will be comfortable to carry such thing with me.

Just offhand I'm rating your suggested option as
1) J5 - NO
Stress that NO, buying any phone with only 1GB of RAM and running Android 4.2 is not a good purchase. You would be buying a dated phone with crappy hardware specs and running software that's out-of-date that's already too just old to be updated.
2) Doogie S35- yes
Limited but OK. Only 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage, running Android 10 is optimal but in your price range this isn't a bad choice. A 4350mAh battery is relatively a bit low compared to current offerings but it's pretty good in a dated, budget-class phone.
3) Hotwav T5 - yes
4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage is OK for moderate usage, but this one running Android 13 is notable.
4) Hotwav w10 - yes
This one also has 4GB of RAM but only 32GB of internal storage? That's only marginally practical, depending on your own personal storage needs. Taking into account 9-10GB of the Android 12 OS, and some of your own added apps and things, that leaves you with maybe (wild guess) of 15-20GBs of free storage space. Depending on how much of your own audio and video content you want stored on your phone, pay attention to the internal storage amount. Or do you have a microSD card? That's an economical way to have a lot more storage space if you have lot of your own media content.

Upvote 0
My fellow mp3 player
Fellow? Is that a brand name?

I'll be honest: I'm having a hard time making out what you're saying, because you're using texting-talk instead of standard English. Ture: The rules of this site allow texting-talk. And true: I could make it out if I put extra effort into making out your texting-talk. But even with that effort, it'd be like trying to read Shakespeare or the King James Bible. I might get it, more or less, but I'll likely miss important stuff. If I miss important stuff, I'll be far less able to help you!

In other words, while texting-talk is allowed here: I strongly recommend sticking for standard English for important matters (such as this), so that we can focus more on giving you help with finding a phone, and less on making out your English.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones