• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! My phone thinks I am in China?!

Elsie

Apr 23, 2010
Android Version: 2.1 (still waiting for the Orange Froyo update!)
Network: Orange
Taskiller Used: None
Issue: Clock / Location.

I live in Derbsyhire and work in Nottinghamshire but this afternoon my phone is telling me my current location is Bejing (!) and the time is 7 hours in front, i.e. at 15:40 UK time it's 22:30 China time.

I've just been oustide and turned Maps on and asked for my location. Sure enough, it said I was in Nottinghamshire. Then when I asked for directions home it failed as it had but me back in the heart of Bejing! I have tried a reboot (not a full reset) and I've tried disabling the clock auto-update feature to try and force the clock to stay on British Summer Time but it keeps reverting back to thinking it's in China.

Looking at the World clock screen it says my "Home" city is London but current location is Bejing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening here and how I can fix it?

Thanks

Elsie

I know, I'm laughing too!

I've turned GPS off and back on as well as the phone but no joy. The stupid thing is the main clock is saying 23:05 Beijing, but the clock in the top right hand corner says 16:05.

This is a really wierd glitch.
Well, from what you said in your first post, the only thing I can say is call HTC.

btw, have you taken out the battery and put it back in yet?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Upvote 0
No worries and don't forget the "thanks" button if we helped you out!! ;)

Some times it is just plain better to "thank" than to be "thanked" :rolleyes: But then you may be seen as a compulsive "thanker" :p

To the OP glad you got it sorted, I could see why thinking you were in China would be a big issue.......Derby has changed a lot recently ;)

Imagine some slosh sessions ending in a decidedly weird fashion......Dude wakes up behind a bush with NO knowledge of how he got there and looks to the phone for location......"Bloody hell :eek:" he exclaims. "I thought that girl was talking about a cocktail when she mentioned getting a slow boat to china!"

Reactions: Elsie
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones