• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP PLEASE: Turn Mobile Data Off After 5 Minutes

dogsnap

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
Hello and thank you, I'm on Android 4.4.2 unrooted stock Sprint ROM. Fairly new and Tasker-challenged, having set up only a couple of the Wikidot profiles that were totally spelled out to easily re-create, I am having trouble creating something I'm sure must be a snap. to give you an idea of how i use this phone, i usually keep it on airplane mode all day since i don't use this phone for any calls, and when i need to, i'll flip on either wifi or data (3g/4g lte) to use the internet or check emails. then i go back to airplane mode (if i don't forget). i am fully aware that airplane mode can't be set automatically on an unrooted phone. I just want to turn mobile data off (and voice data too, if possible, but i won't be picky) after a set amount of time of being on (maybe 5-10 minutes?) as a precaution in case i forget to put on airplane mode. if it's not possible to set the wait duration from the point of data connection turning on (as a result of airplane mode being turned off), i would be ok with the wait time starting from the point of a screen- off. i just don't want data to remain on indefinitely. so far i am testing with only a short 5 second duration wait time but it will only turn 4g off 5 seconds after the 4g begins *actively transferring data* (e.g. i initiate sync of an email account) but it turns right back on again, so in effect it remains on until a data transaction is initiated, and then it remains on for 5 more seconds, then turns off for 2 seconds, then kicks back on for 5 seconds, then off for 2, and on and on. i know the way i am trying to go about this must be laughable (can't even figure out how to get carriage returns to create new paragraphs in this question!), can someone please walk me through the correct way to implement this, step by step? i would also be looking for a similar recipe for turning off wifi after 30 minutes, but turning off data is more important to be tackled first. THANK YOU.

Last edited:
all the things you zesty can be done with tasker
i would be ok with the wait time starting from the point of a screen- off
screen off (either by timeout or manually) usually means you're done with your phone, so it's a good time to start the timer for turning off data imo.

here is a video I made on exactly that. It users an old version of tasker but not much had changed except a few buttons in different places.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones