• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Restart triggered by Volume Button

Why does my android phone restart when I adjust the volume?

It just started recently. I tried researching it and have found nothing on it.

Also, when I go to Settings to access Sounds, I get the error message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." and the tosses me back out to the Home Screen when I press "OK".

(I installed Zoner Antivirus and did a scan and it showed no problems.)

Has anyone else had this problem? :thinking:

Sounds strange (no pun intended). If you don't have too much on it, you might try a reset to factory default. If that fixes the problem, add apps back one at a time checking after each addition to see if problem re-occurs. If it does, you've found the culprit, if it doesn't who knows. If the factory reset didn't fix things you probably have a defective unit.

Upvote 0
Word of warning, if you reset your phone you will disconnect it from Verizon network. You will need to call tracfone, which is a nightmare! Took me several hours to get my phone going again. Best thing to do, if you factory reset is to go to tracfone Facebook and start a support ticket. They couldn't help, but they will give you a different support number that can actually help. I would start by uninstalling the last app(s) you installed one at a time, maybe reboot after each, to see what happens. Otherwise, you may want to see about exchanging it.

Reactions: LoveToSail
Upvote 0
You could boot into recovery and wipe cache partition.

1). First, power off your device.

2). Now press and hold the POWER and VOLUME UP buttons and release as soon as you see the ZTE screen.

3). After 4 or 5 seconds, you'll see an Android. It should say "Android system recovery (3e)" and it will display menu options. Use the VOL DOWN button to SCROLL to "wipe cache partition" and the POWER button to select this option.

1. reboot system now
2. wipe data/factory reset
3. wipe cache partition
4. apply update from external storage

Once it's done, select "reboot system now." Your phone will reboot and start the normal power up sequence.

Upvote 0
Well, I am giving up. I deleted all of the Apps surrounding when I started having problems.

How would I go about backing up at least my contacts before doing a factory reset? (I have a TracFone.)

Edit: I was wondering. Can't I just move evrything to the SD card and then do the factory reset without losing anything?

I looked into the file structure on my phone so that I could save it, but can't figure out where my contacts reside.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones