Help! The i9000 Front Facing Camera is fake?Support

Last Updated:

1. Citytown

Citytown Member This Topic's Starter

I'm really confused with the galaxy s i9000. when I got my i9000, I expected to use it for video talk. what's embarassing is I found the front facing camera is just a fake camera. There is only a camera lens and a hole. Why...!!??. Can any guy help me? can I just by a camera and put it there? I'm really messed up.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't know much about this, but I saw this article a few days ago. It might be useful to you.

Looks like you'll need a custom ROM to add firmware support for the extra camera.

3. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

It isn't fake, where did you get that information? (Bit of a strange thing to say...)

As Xyro says, Samsung have just neglected to bake any support for the camera into the software properly. Hardly surprising from Samsung to be honest!

In the dialler enter *#0*#

You get a test menu and can select "frontcam" and see that the hardware works.

4. rizzla

rizzla Well-Known Member

Th camera does work, i've tested i fring.

5. doctorxerxes

doctorxerxes Well-Known Member

You really think samsung would put a "fake" cam .... cmon... :eek: If you want to try it out just do the following :

When the camera has started click the upper left icon (shooting mode) , then click self shot .. The camera may not be very good , but it definitely works ..:p

riker1, sams_VTR and caesey like this.
  6. Sleuth

Sleuth Active Member

Strangest thread ever.

I think perhaps the reason the OP is confused is that some of the cameras in the Galaxy family are built without a front facing camera. The stock standard SGS does however a camera and it works fine.

7. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

just to back up the front facing camera is not a fake you need to select self shot in the camera settings.

8. Elementfe

Elementfe New Member

Ok I have the same issue as op...there is no self shot option in the menu where it's supposed to be.what can I do about that? Brand new verizon galaxy.thanks!

9. droid416

droid416 Well-Known Member

I can understand why the OP might think so, and I believe that there is a version of Galaxy S out there without an FFC, I think the USA version is lacking it, but I could be wrong. I've had many people try to convince me that there is no FFC on the Samsung Vibrant, even when I posted proof they failed to believe me in another thread.

I also have my share of trouble getting use of the FFC. I just tried the self shoot option described above and yes that works. I have an app called Mirror that works, but all of the video calling apps I've tried do not work with the FFC. Tango only comes on with the main lens and no option to change, Qik only works with the main lens and the setting for FFC is greyed out. Fring only works with the front FFC, unless I'm missing something and I hope someone can correct me.

10. sams_VTR

sams_VTR New Member

On my SGS the FFC works for Video talk but is very tempremental, and likes to spit its dummy out when being used.

My version is the UK version and was purchased the week after release. [not sure if that makes a difference]

11. big_mike

open the camera up,
    click on the white box above the SCN button, you need to click 'SCN none' in the SCN option so that the white box is then checkable.
    and then click self shot in the white box options.

hope that helps.

12. insaneworld

insaneworld New Member

Just brought this phone yesterday and i can tell you that the front facing camera is not fake, it works, it is not brillant but it works.

13. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

It works fine here.

14. mwb

mwb New Member

The SGS model i897 which is the one sold by AT&T here in California does not have a front facing camera nor any of the menu items related to it.

15. big_mike

so its not fake there just isnt one.

16. Citytown

Thanks very much. Maybe I just need to buy a front camera. The post you linked mentioned a site www.globaldirectparts.com that sells the i9000 flex cable ribbon that goes with both the front facing camera and the back camera. Does that really work? I have to figure it out because the MOQ of the site for the cable is 3pcs. ..

17. Citytown

Thanks for your tips. but the questions is there is no camera there. This is the most frustrating thing.

18. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

OP mentions i9000, so it does have a camera. Anyway, still a ridiculously titled thread.

19. Citytown

I used the word fake because at the beginning I believed there was a camera there, and then I found that it could not be used. So I thought it was faked, but later I just get to know that there isn't any camera there.

20. Nixxi

Nixxi Member

No problem with mine.

21. Citytown

yes, the british version and the canada version do have a front facing camera, but some of the US version do not.

22. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

The US versions are not the i9000

23. Tiny Turtle

Tiny Turtle Active Member

There are four versions of the Galaxy S in North America and only one of them has a FFC:

The AT&T Captivate has no FFC
    [​IMG]

The T-Mobile Vibrant has no FFC
    [​IMG]

The Verizon Fascinate has no FFC
    [​IMG]

The Sprint Epic 4G however has one! :)
    [​IMG]

24. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Just to reiterate my issue with the title - non of these are the i9000.

25. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

There's a reason why we have different sections for the Vibrant and Captivate.