• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Unrooting Evo 4G - Which Guide?

smurfus

Lurker
Oct 4, 2013
I believe I need to unroot my Evo4G so I can have Sprint move the phone from one number on my account to another. Each time I do the "##72786#" procedure and enter the passcode given to me by Sprint I get an error that the passcode is wrong. I am assuming this is from the rooting I had done way back in 2010 and I need to revert it to stock. Yes? No? Advise is welcome.

I used to program the old H and HU cards for Direct TV so I understand basic principals applied and I have read through several guides here and elsewhere feelling I can tackle this without much trouble.

I just want to be sure I follow the correct guide... So...

My Phone info:

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC3610000)
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
Mar 30 2010 11:24:04
Phone is running v2.2

I prolly could have GUESSED... but I would rather hear from the experts and just get it right the first time.

Thanks a thousand...

I believe I need to unroot my Evo4G so I can have Sprint move the phone from one number on my account to another. Each time I do the "##72786#" procedure and enter the passcode given to me by Sprint I get an error that the passcode is wrong. I am assuming this is from the rooting I had done way back in 2010 and I need to revert it to stock. Yes? No? Advise is welcome.

I used to program the old H and HU cards for Direct TV so I understand basic principals applied and I have read through several guides here and elsewhere feelling I can tackle this without much trouble.

I just want to be sure I follow the correct guide... So...

My Phone info:

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC3610000)
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
Mar 30 2010 11:24:04
Phone is running v2.2

I prolly could have GUESSED... but I would rather hear from the experts and just get it right the first time.

Thanks a thousand...
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!

what rom are you on? if you are on aosp like cm7 then you will need to flash to a sense rom.....i think mikg should work the codes. you can't do this on aosp roms.

are you giving the phone back? you can unroot then if you like, but if you are keeping it(it makes a great mp3 player) then there is no need to unroot the phone.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
How do I tell what ROM?

I am keeping the phone and going to try to use it.

I have 4 lines. 2 lines upgraded in December. This phone has been in storage. I broke my old phone and want to swap to this one. (Same account).

It won't finish the activation. Sprint has changed it on their end but it won;t take the passcode to complete.

Make any sense?

My plan -

Unroot phone and restore to total stock (without changing from 2.2 I hope)
Complete Activation with Sprint to my current phone number.
Re-root the phone to hppiness.

That help?

Upvote 0
How do I tell what ROM?

I am keeping the phone and going to try to use it.

I have 4 lines. 2 lines upgraded in December. This phone has been in storage. I broke my old phone and want to swap to this one. (Same account).

It won't finish the activation. Sprint has changed it on their end but it won;t take the passcode to complete.

Make any sense?

My plan -

Unroot phone and restore to total stock (without changing from 2.2 I hope)
Complete Activation with Sprint to my current phone number.
Re-root the phone to hppiness.

That help?

in settings/about phone/it should say some where there what rom you have.....if the phone is rooted you should always know what rom it has so that there is no issues going forward. but i understand it has been a while so it should say in the about phone settings.

and if you are keeping it then i see no reason to unroot the phone. you can also flash a stock rooted rom as well.

Upvote 0
Will flashing a rooted stock ROM allow the password Sprint has given me to reset the phone to my correct phone number?

Again, this is an old rooted phone we removed from service. I now want to restore it to service on the same account with a different phone number.

I find no mention of a ROM in the "About Phone" section. Only:
Andriod Version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel version 2.632.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Build Number 3.703651.1 CL294884 release-keys
Software Number 3.70.651.1
Browser Version Webkit 3.1
PRI Version 1.90_003
PRL Version 60792

Any of that help?

Upvote 0
Will flashing a rooted stock ROM allow the password Sprint has given me to reset the phone to my correct phone number?

Again, this is an old rooted phone we removed from service. I now want to restore it to service on the same account with a different phone number.

I find no mention of a ROM in the "About Phone" section. Only:
Andriod Version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel version 2.632.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Build Number 3.703651.1 CL294884 release-keys
Software Number 3.70.651.1
Browser Version Webkit 3.1
PRI Version 1.90_003
PRL Version 60792

Any of that help?

yeah they should have n issues doing it. not sure but your phone is very outdated in software.....so i'm guessing it is on froyo and i think if you flashed mikg you should be fine or even just a gingerbread stock rooted rom.

you can find them here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html any 5.07 or 4.67 rooted roms should work or even mikg should work as well(it is the one i recommend) as mikg is waaaaaaaaaay better then stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones