• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with contacts

puppykickr

Android Expert
Feb 1, 2019
USA
As most here will know, I have a hate/hate (as opposed to a love/hate) relationship with Google.

Because I don't strive hard enough in life for better, I cannot afford a very decent device.

The debate over the wisdom of this is not the point of this discussion- it is what it is.

Anyway, lol, I have discovered over time that the crappiest of devices work better and better the more Google junk that can be turned off or got rid of.

So, this new device that I use as an artificial phone like substance takes the meaning of digital turd to a whole new level- a ZTE Z3351S.

It is horrible, to say the least.

But, with some persistance, I have made a semi-workable device out of this 'thing'.

I have markedly sped it up and improved overall performance by a great deal by disabling almost everything that is not needed.
The last thing to go onto the chopping block is Google Play Services.

The single reason that it is still active on this device is that when it is disabled, all my contacts from Google automatically disappear.

I have tried multiple ways to transfer them all to the phone memory, even downloading all of them in a VCF file and trying to import that into my Contacts app (Simple Contacts).
Some sort of error, I cannot remember what.

So, I know that I can go through them one by one, and change the e-mail associated with the storage, or even put them onto the SIM.

But I would really love to do them all at once.

This would save me a whole lot of time with a device that is not worth spending a whole lot of time on.

The end goal is to have all of my contacts on this device after disabling Google Play Services, and then finally removing my Google Account altogether from this device.

I only use this device as a phone (when it actually will work as a bad substitute for one) and to look up things online for my work.

My Google account does not need to exist on this device at all, and I know that performance will increase in multiple ways once I can eliminate these last chunks of Google feces.

I have actually already done both before, and the results were admirable- except for the loss of my contacts.

Any help on being able to import my entire contacts list all at once, or even just verification that it must be done one at a time by changing the e-mail source or saving to the SIM is much appreciated.

TIA

if you had a sammy device, you could have used Smart switch. doesn't zte have some kind of backup/restore utility program? i know lg has one. not sure on moto.

My first android device, a ZTE 812 Maven, did have a backup/restore utility app built in, but it was incompatible with the next device (another ZTE) that I got.

This device, and the other ZTE before it, does not have any such app.

I figured that I could just save the contacts as a vcf file, disable the apps, delete the Google account, and then import the vcf file into the Contacts.

But it was a no go.

I guess the storage location info is included in the vcf file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones