• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with G2

phillevy

Android Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2009
Ongar, UK
My son's girlfiend has just got a new G2 and and I told her to let me get it up and running for her. Not only does the phone have the old ROM, her access to the market is blocked because she didn't set up a Googlemail account at the beginning. I realise that to enable the market, this has to be entered on first setup and in any case the ROM needs updating so a wipe seems inevitable to get things sorted. The problem I have is that she has manually entered a large number of (phone) contacts and I would like to back them up to SD (or SIM) before resetting - I don't wan't to use desktop sync as this would conflict with my contacts (she is staying over).
Is there any way I can manually install any apps (thinking astro and contact2sim) with the phone in the state it is? I'm reluctant to reset until her contacts are saved first. Another option would be to covert the contacts from phone to google but I think that needs an app also? BTW Happy new year to everyone!

UPDATE: All solved:)

Come on Phil, tell us how you did it...... please? :)
Well - after backing up my Outlook contacts I deleted them and did a fresh sync with the G2. I then exported this as a .csv file and imported this into my son's girlfriend's Gmail account.
Then I updated the ROM and made sure the Gmail settings were entered at the setup stage. The contacts synced back perfectly from Gmail (now as Google contacts) and the Market worked 1st time. All is now as it should be. Lastly I deleted her contacts from my Outlook and re-imported my own ones.
What concerns me is that this phone was bought in November and T-mobile supplied it with the old ROM and no mention was made of an update. Also I now recall this problem with the market happening when I got my Hero last August - and causing me hassle at the time having to reset it. This is why the Hero still has a reputation as a geeks phone, which is a shame. My geekiness was able to sort her out, but you can see the appeal of the iPhone when problems like this occur.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones