• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help With Rooting 2 Bionic Phones

The 1st Bionic I have is on 5.5.905 which is the current phone I use. The 2nd Bionic I purchased from eBay with a bad esn with intentions to play around with it first before trying it on my main phone. (Well, the esn turned out to be good and for $100 you can't beat that, but that's not the point)

The 2nd phone has version 5.5.893.

From what I've been reading for a while, most of the stuff I have found relates to being able to root version 902 which is why I want to ask
A.) Is 905 rootable? If so, how?

B.) I've also read something about loosing the option to take video after rooting or loosing other abilites, unless I've read wrong or have my info mixed up. Is this true?

Again, I've read that version 905 fixes 4G connectivity issues and so on but still, I'm not sure if it's rootable, or if it looses any other abilities as mentioned above.

C.) Would it be better to root the 2nd Bionic since it has a lower version?
or just root both phones?

D.) On the 2nd Bionic, if I do root, do I have to update the software to version 902 in order to be able to root? since the current version is at 5.5.893, or do I root from the older version instead?

E.) If I do root the 2nd Bionic, can I then update to 905 and keep root? I've seen some say yes, and other say no, and others don't know

I know this post is long but most q's can be answered with a simple yes or no, unless you want to be forever hailed as the person(s) who helped me solve my own problems.

I ask because I don't want to end up with 2 bricks, because if I do, I'll smash them with real bricks. This is why I have a 2nd phone to experiment with.

Hi, I don't know much about this device, but I think I can answer your second question.

B.) I've also read something about loosing the option to take video after rooting or loosing other abilites, unless I've read wrong or have my info mixed up. Is this true?

You shouldn't lose these functions by rooting; video should work as it did with stock. However, some ROMs might not have video recording working (some were like this when I had my last device.) This is the case with some Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 ROMs where the kernel is unable to process video recording as the code is different to that of 2.3 Gingerbread ROMs.

If you were just to root, or use a 2.3 ROM then everything should work fine :)

I'm going to move this thread to the root section so someone with more knowledge than me can help you out :) If you decide to root I hope all goes well!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The 1st Bionic I have is on 5.5.905 which is the current phone I use. The 2nd Bionic I purchased from eBay with a bad esn with intentions to play around with it first before trying it on my main phone. (Well, the esn turned out to be good and for $100 you can't beat that, but that's not the point)

The 2nd phone has version 5.5.893.

From what I've been reading for a while, most of the stuff I have found relates to being able to root version 902 which is why I want to ask
A.) Is 905 rootable? If so, how?

Again, I've read that version 905 fixes 4G connectivity issues and so on but still, I'm not sure if it's rootable, or if it looses any other abilities as mentioned above.

C.) Would it be better to root the 2nd Bionic since it has a lower version?
or just root both phones?

D.) On the 2nd Bionic, if I do root, do I have to update the software to version 902 in order to be able to root? since the current version is at 5.5.893, or do I root from the older version instead?

E.) If I do root the 2nd Bionic, can I then update to 905 and keep root? I've seen some say yes, and other say no, and others don't know

I know this post is long but most q's can be answered with a simple yes or no, unless you want to be forever hailed as the person(s) who helped me solve my own problems.

I ask because I don't want to end up with 2 bricks, because if I do, I'll smash them with real bricks. This is why I have a 2nd phone to experiment with.

A) Yes using motofail get it here http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-all-things-root-guide-updated-2-14-12-a.html

B) No you will not loose any abilities

C) You can currently root any version the bionic is on

D) See C

E) See D

As far as creating bricks as long as you don't flash the ICS leak 6.7.235 you can always flash the 5.9.905 FXZ from this thread http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-things-root/480176-how-flash-5-9-902-5-9-905-rsdlite.html and it will restore your bionic to out of the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones