Help with video chatSupport

Last Updated:

1. Musclehead84

Musclehead84 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife has an apple iPod 4th generation with a front facing camera so we wanted to see if we could find an app to video chat over wifi. So I got fring on my epic and her iPod. I have idea how to use fring. I can call her from how google talk but it doesn't support video chat and I did some research and ithe only way to do it is to get a SIP acct I guess? I can't find out how to get one so we can video chat. Can someone pls help me to find how to get a sip acct or another app that we could use? Thank you

Advertisement
  2. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

Qik | Record and share video live from your mobile phone

Also works for video chat.

3. Musclehead84

I can't find the app for the iPod touch. I know it comes stock on the epic but can't find it in the app store on the iPod.

4. alex94z

alex94z Active Member

Tango works pretty well from my Epic to iphone4.

5. Musclehead84

I need one for pod touch. I guess there isn't an easy way

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

7. Musclehead84

I've made calls from fring on the iPod and iPad to our cell phones thru google talk but it doesn't support video chat. You have to set up a sip acct to get video chat and I haven idea how to do that. I can't find a place to get a sip acct in the united states.

8. EarlyMon

Can't you just fring-to-fring for videochat and get what you wanted?

I think you can also do it with fringOUT...

http://www.fring.com/fringout/free/

Am I missing something?

(And I still blame skype for removing fring access - with that combo, videochat just worked from anywhere to anywhere - but - that's just my favorite dead horse.)

9. Musclehead84

Yeah I think you can but I know that you have to buy the minutes. I think they only give you some for free.

10. EarlyMon

For _just_ Fring to Fring videochat you have to buy minutes?

I thought they claimed that was free.... (I need to test this but my iPhone 4 compadre is unavailable).

Not trying to argue, it's just that I've noticed before that your posts tend to show that you pretty much know what you're talking about - but this is conflicting with what I think I know. As Lewis Black would say, "And I am confused."

PS - You can use fring to access people either by phone number or by account name - I think by account name it's free. I seem to recall using any phone number stuff is where they want you to go, so they can charge. In that sense, it seemed 100% like skype. (I'm always showing friends how to use skype for free - it's just been a few months since using fring much and I just don't want to trust my memory 100%.)

11. Musclehead84

I do know a little about fring but my original question was if anyone knew where I can get a SIP acct at and if there are other apps that I can use other than fring to video chat from epic to apple ipod touch. Thanks for your help. I can't use qik bor tango cause I can't findb them in apples app store.

12. EarlyMon

Sorry, misread your original question as in two part including fring. The SIP part intrigued me as I didn't realize how hard it was to get that free anymore. I didn't even notice that Google had hoovered up Gizmo5 (I used to use that), so fwiw, I'm still looking for free SIP account stuff for you - not smooth going tho.

13. EarlyMon

At one point in July, eieio recommended:

Movicha

I haven't used it or kept up with that one, but let me know if you see anything useful there.

14. N900 Lover

N900 Lover New Member

Musclehead,

You can get a free SIP address from www.ekiga.net. It has free voice and videocalling ability. I have already set one up for my Nokia N900 device and it tested excellently. I want to use SIP to enable videocalling between the N900 and the Samsung Epic. Good luck.

Say, if my advice helps, please press the "Thanks" button. I could use the reinforcement.

--N900 Lover

EarlyMon likes this.
  15. EarlyMon

Welcome to the forums, great first post!

16. carrietanml

carrietanml Member

iam using samsung nexus s andriod. it wont work for video chat for skype, msn, ebuddy, gchat video and tango. tango only meant for mobile to mobile. anyone knows which phone or application allows me to video chat mobile to pc? pls help ...

17. EarlyMon