• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero Marketing - Old ROM in all stores?!?

Caspa

Dec 13, 2009
London, UK
Getting my Hero in a few weeks so have been on the information hunt in preparation...

One thing I wanted to do was actually have a play with a live handset, so I popped into the Westfield the other day and tried one in CPW, T-Mobile and finally Orange...

CPW & T-Mob were on those annoying security things so you cant hold the phone properly or touch all of the screen when typing! :(

Orange actually grabbed a demo handset from out the back so I could get a proper feel which was great... (wont say anything about the sales guy - who when asked about the firmware and ROM it was running, mentioned a 6.5 update...:thinking: Err, thats Windows buddy?!?!? :p...)

One thing I noticed though - all the handsets were running the old ROM so felt extremely sluggish and actually put a bit of a downers on the handset for me... Not great for me when I want a dose of what I am actually gonna experience!

I obviously know the update greatly improves things, so im cool...

But what about Joe Public who hasnt got a clue about ROMs etc? Surely its not great marketing for the handset...

Meh... they'll be so enamored with the Sense UI they won't notice how slow it is until they get it home
rollinglaugh.gif

Seriously though, mine's not that bad. there are a few tricks posted throughout the forum to make things run quicker.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but surely if its display/demo stock it should be up to date?!?!

It was just irritating knowing that what I was playing with wasnt the real world product that I will be getting - there are lots of videos online with the old ROM but not many with the new one, and my only personal experience has therefore been with the old ROM - would have been nice to take the devide for a proper test drive as it were, thats all...

Upvote 0
Its the ROM version that is key... All are firmware 1.5 until we get the 2.1 update...

As 3 have only just released the handset I would imagine that they are shipping them with the latest ROM... so 2.73 something...

Congrats on your purchase, I'm soon to join the club with one on Orange and am very much looking forward to it! (my current temporary handset has seen better days!!!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones