Hero Marketing - Old ROM in all stores?!?

Last Updated:

1. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Getting my Hero in a few weeks so have been on the information hunt in preparation...

One thing I wanted to do was actually have a play with a live handset, so I popped into the Westfield the other day and tried one in CPW, T-Mobile and finally Orange...

CPW & T-Mob were on those annoying security things so you cant hold the phone properly or touch all of the screen when typing! :(

Orange actually grabbed a demo handset from out the back so I could get a proper feel which was great... (wont say anything about the sales guy - who when asked about the firmware and ROM it was running, mentioned a 6.5 update...:confused: Err, thats Windows buddy?!?!? :p...)

One thing I noticed though - all the handsets were running the old ROM so felt extremely sluggish and actually put a bit of a downers on the handset for me... Not great for me when I want a dose of what I am actually gonna experience!

I obviously know the update greatly improves things, so im cool...

But what about Joe Public who hasnt got a clue about ROMs etc? Surely its not great marketing for the handset...

Advertisement
  2. rioja

rioja Guest

Meh... they'll be so enamored with the Sense UI they won't notice how slow it is until they get it home [​IMG]

Seriously though, mine's not that bad. there are a few tricks posted throughout the forum to make things run quicker.

3. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Suppose it depends how long stock is sitting there for...

4. Caspa

Yeah, but surely if its display/demo stock it should be up to date?!?!

It was just irritating knowing that what I was playing with wasnt the real world product that I will be getting - there are lots of videos online with the old ROM but not many with the new one, and my only personal experience has therefore been with the old ROM - would have been nice to take the devide for a proper test drive as it were, thats all...

5. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Well as you say, the "trained" staff don't even know what Android is - so they're not going to have updated it themselves...

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I saw a hero in a shop here that said it supported up to 8gb mem card expansion... WRONG

7. Caspa

Very true... Been like that always really... Even back 10 years or so ago when I was in the telecommunications game... It would have been up to date in my damn shop though!

8. GordonEndersby

GordonEndersby Active Member

Ive just got my Hero last week from the Three shop.
    I got the best deal after looking at cpw and orange.
    It came with firware version 1.5 and shows no sign of any lag that I can tell.
    After adding a couple of apps its the best phone Ive evr had.

Gordon

9. Caspa

Its the ROM version that is key... All are firmware 1.5 until we get the 2.1 update...

As 3 have only just released the handset I would imagine that they are shipping them with the latest ROM... so 2.73 something...

Congrats on your purchase, I'm soon to join the club with one on Orange and am very much looking forward to it! (my current temporary handset has seen better days!!!)

10. GordonEndersby

GordonEndersby Active Member

Ok, it shows 2.73.771.62 under "Build Number".
    So it looks like Three are selling them completely up to date.

Gordon