• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

heya need some help

iamscott

Lurker
Jun 3, 2012
hello i am scott :)

i recently purchased a samsung galaxy note

i am a little worried to when i download apps as when i look on the
information about them it says:

1: storage. modify/delte usb storage
2: network communication
3: phone calls: read phones status an id

there was one where it was sayin about maybe extra charge to me?

i was wondering if any one had been charged extra or if there is any security issues with some of the apps..

i hope someone may be able to help me as i have delete most me apps as not to sure if there 100% safe

many thanks for listening scott

Hey there. Have you read through this thread?
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html
Basically, the most sound advice is to only download apps from trusted developers who have a good rating on the app with lots of downloads. Reading the phone call status is the one that always gets folks. Generally speaking, it means the app will pause or close when a phone call comes through (such as a streaming music app like Pandora).
You'll always be prompted for extra charges (called in app purchasing). You may download a free game, but in order to go further in the game, you might have to purchase those levels. You can always say no and forget about it or uninstall. Nothing will be forced on you. Always remember, for paid apps, you have a 15min period to demo it and return if not satisfied.

Reactions: iamscott
Upvote 0
These permissions look 'dubious' but in fact they're just saying they need to use certain functions of your phone, internet, calling, write to SD etc etc...

I believe the wording of these are a little misleading.

What you should do is only get apps from 'decent' places like appbrain or google play. And then you should read the reviews of other people who have the app. Just use your discretion.

Occasionally an app will have advertising intentions & you might recieve push notifications in your notification bar (spam, basically). An app like Add-ons detector will let you scan for apps that do this, then you can uninstall them.

Reactions: iamscott
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones