• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi! Waiting for Nexus 5 to arrive - SOOO excited

Hi my name is Linda and I'm SOOO excited! :D

My current phone is old; I'm currently grandfathered into Virgin Mobile's $25 / month plan which includes 300 min/month and unlimited text & data. Everyone is so amazed when I tell them what I pay per month. But it's a 2011 phone - LG Optimus V with a 3.2" screen, 320x480 screen resolution, 160 MB memory. The memory is the biggest drawback.

DEFINITELY needed a new one so I ORDERED A NEXUS 5 from Google Play. YAY! It should arrive this week.

I decided on the Nexus 5 in part because I heard that I can get a pre-paid, Bring Your Own Device plan with T-Mobile for $30/month (only 100 min/month, but I don't use that many talk minutes even now)

I saw a post here on androidforums - /t-mobile/820196-30-prepaid-plan-faq.html but it wasn't specific to Nexus 5, and I'm a complete noob to all of this.

Does anyone use the Nexus 5 on the $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan? Would you be kind enough to help me through the steps of setting things up, once the N5 arrives?

THANK YOU! :)
Linda

Glad to have you on the forum lmurphy1 :)

The $30 T-Mobile FAQ post is for all GSM phones, including the Nexus 5. Did you buy a T-Mobile SIM card yet? If not, buy a Micro-SIM card here:
SIM Card details from T-Mobile

Instructions for activating with T-Mobile should be included in the package. Here is how to insert the SIM card into your Nexus 5:
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3473178

If you run into issues activating the folks in our T-Mobile forum can help, just post a question there:
T-Mobile - Android Forums

Hope you enjoy our site! :)

P.S. You can also find a forum for your Nexus 5 for specific info about the phone here:
Nexus 5 - Android Forums

Reactions: lmurphy1
Upvote 0
I have the Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile 30 dollar plan, but as kate mentioned it's valid for any gsm phone that supports T-Mobile's frequencies and isn't locked to another carrier. With the Nexus 5, you don't have to worry about that. Just remember that you have to active the sim online, and you cannot change to this plan from another one since it's new activations only. So if you change to another one because you need more minutes, you won't be able to change back to it.

Upvote 0
Hi Linda and welcome to AF!! :hello:
Congrats on selecting the N5 as your new phone... I'm sure that you'll love it, I know I love mine! :) For you, coming from the Optimus V, with a 3.2" to a 5" screen and a higher resolution it will be quite the improvement. :thumbup:
As kate said, activating the N5 is very easy. Requires a Micro-SIM and once the SIM is registered on T-Mobile network and it's installed in to the phone, the N5 will automatically recognize and configure the T-Mobile network and the correct APN settings. It's really easy to set up.

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to ask!

Upvote 0
My phone arrived yesterday! Charged it overnight and just TURNED IT ON! Whoot - Whoot!

I have the Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile 30 dollar plan, but as kate mentioned it's valid for any gsm phone that supports T-Mobile's frequencies and isn't locked to another carrier. With the Nexus 5, you don't have to worry about that. Just remember that you have to active the sim online, and you cannot change to this plan from another one since it's new activations only. So if you change to another one because you need more minutes, you won't be able to change back to it.
Thanks - good to know about not being able to switch back to the plan if I switched to another.

I only used 32 or 33 minutes on my Virgin Mobile phone over the last 6 weeks. So it seems I will not need more than 100 minutes/month. We'll see if my calling habits change. If they do, I'll look around for a way to squeeze more VoIP, or just pay T-Mobile the extra $/minute I use beyond the first 100 minutes.

Hopefully I won't have any other reason to switch to a different T-Mobile plan.

As for activating on-line: I don't think I'll have any problems, but if I do, I'll come back and ask about it here. (Hopefully on the right forum)

Thanks again,
Linda

Upvote 0
Glad to have you on the forum lmurphy1 :)

The $30 T-Mobile FAQ post is for all GSM phones, including the Nexus 5. Did you buy a T-Mobile SIM card yet? If not, buy a Micro-SIM card here:
SIM Card details from T-Mobile

Instructions for activating with T-Mobile should be included in the package. Here is how to insert the SIM card into your Nexus 5:
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3473178

If you run into issues activating the folks in our T-Mobile forum can help, just post a question there:
T-Mobile - Android Forums

Hope you enjoy our site! :)

P.S. You can also find a forum for your Nexus 5 for specific info about the phone here:
Nexus 5 - Android Forums

I just TURNED ON MY Nexus5 for the first time - YAY!

Thank you, Kate, for the various links. Very helpful - I know I'll be using them!

And I apologize for posting my first question in this 'Introduce' forum; my bad. (The boards kept telling me I had to introduce myself first...)

Glad I joined this forum with you friendly folks! :) Hope I have opportunities to help the next noob that pops in here.

-Linda

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones