• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hidden folders no longer visible to my PC.

SebaKL

Android Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi there guys

I was updating some theme for Torque app. Everything was cool and works great. The Torque folder starts with a dot ".torque", so naturally I change PC folder view setting to show hidden files. And it works first time I connected the phone.
Next day it refuse to show S3's hidden folders no matter how I set up the PC.

I did very extensive search for the past few days, all lead me to the same instruction. I can see all the hidden folders across all my drives, server storage and external drives, just NOT on the S3.

I drives me crazy, for now I have been renaming the folders on the S3's using Astro file explorer, but it's a pain in butt doing it back and forth, just to fine tune some of the theme settings that I apply.

Is there any reason you could think of, why would Windows 8 ignore "show hidden files and folders" exclusively for the S3 ?

cheers

I can't help you, but am just posting to say I also have this issue. I have hidden folders on my phone which begin with a dot, which are then invisible when I connect the phone to the PC.

Of course the dot prefix is the Linux way of hiding data, not Windows, so a file that's on your PC rather than your phone with the dot would not be classed as hidden. I think what is happening is that the Samsung drivers which allow the phone to be connected to the PC are honouring the Linux convention and hence not showing the hidden files.

Presumably we wouldn't get this issue if Samsung allowed the phone to be connected like a normal flash drive, but I don't think they do.

Anyway if anyone has a way round the issue that doesn't involve renaming the data on the phone first, I'd be pleased to hear it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones