• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

High quality earbuds with mic?

lureynol

Lurker
Feb 5, 2012
NYC
Hello all,

I recently joined the smartphone revolution and picked up a HTC EVO design 4G on Sprint. In addition to being a great communications device, it has quickly replaced my old ipod touch as my music and audible device. I'm a huge fan of high-quality earbuds, but it seems everything these days is made for iphones. Here's my question - do these things work on Android phones?

I don't really care about the ancillary buttons (next track, previous track, volume). All I really want to know is if my phone will recognize/use the mic, and can I use the central button to answer and hang up calls.

As I said, HTC EVO Design 4G, and I'm thinking of something like the Logitech Ultimate Ears 600i or the Sony XBAs. Or should I just go with the Klipsch S4A or some Shures with the non-iphone mic cable?

Many thanks!

im not sure what kind of DAC HTC EVO design uses.
but gsmarena ran audio test for EVO 3d and result is a bit disappointing.

HTC EVO 3D review: An extra dimension - GSMArena.com

(headphone)
noise level: -84 (-71.6)
dynamic range: 83.5 (71.4)
THD: 0.023 (0.109)
IMD+noise: 0.051 (0.391)
stereo crosswalk: -73.1 (-60.6)

if prices doesnt concern to you, i'd suggest portable dac/amp like filo E7 with klipsch image S4A headset.
klipsch image s4 has been top earbud around 100$ past couple of years..
and android version works for volume, forward/previous track etc

Amazon.com: FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black): Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329054558&sr=1-1

Upvote 0
I use the Motorola s305 rckr's and they work really well all the buttons work (play/pause, ff, rwnd, and and ans/hang up call). People don't even know I'm on a bt when they call. Plus I can walk almost all around my house and leave my phone in the middle of my house. I know they're not earbuds, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones