• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home screen cutting out app shortcuts

alextop30

Android Expert
Oct 5, 2010
Windy City of Chicago
Here is the story and I will also attach a photo maybe you guys can help me fix this.

The story: I modded the battery and it went wrong - every single notification had weird yellow lines through it and I finally got sick of it. So I wiped everything after creating a backup and installed the latest nightly.

The problem: It seems to me that there are more available spaces on the screen in portrait mode than in landscape mode. I like having two rows on the screen from side to side and when I turn it to landscape those icons to be there. However when I turn it to landscape the outer icons disappear because the touchpad is putting spaces in between the apps.

Is there any way for me to stop the screen from doing this so that my apps can appear normally in landscape - you would figure there is more space on landscape than on portrait.

below pictures!!!

Attachments

• portrait.png
    portrait.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 98
  • landscape.png
    landscape.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 69
You could have just reflashed your rom. It would have replaced the framework you updated. Always a good idea to have a backup in recovery to restore so you don't have to start over.

Play with the rows & column numbers in your launcher (Trebuchet?). Might be a margin setting there too.

Upvote 0
Here is my Progress so far- I did the restore of my backup and noticed that the columns were still disappearing and suddenly my system stopped working. Message pops up system has stopped working. Click Ok stuff still works. I redid the backup with titanium backup and wiped everything. Installed yesterday's nightly and restored with titanium backup. All of my stuff appeared nicely. I put my icons the way I like them arranged and there is still one column difference between landscape and portrait mode.

It kinna bothers me because there is extra place in portrait when the icons can be centered with space between them to cover the extra column so the view is exactly the same between portrait and landscape.

If anyone has found any way of fixing this please speak up!!!

I have tried changing the DPI settings and let me say stuff just looks so weird - 120 too small and shrinks the screen from the upper left edge so all of my icons are on the upper left of the screen out of my view. 140 is pretty much the same thing but a little bigger icons. 160 is probably the best and also you don't need fix for the market which I guess is nice.

Upvote 0
Dalingrin once stated that 132 dpi was the best for our TP's so I use that with lcd density modder pro to handle Play Store. 120/160/200 are more compatible with the stock Play Store.

I suspect that 120 dpi is going to be more difficult to get the row/column issue resolved than 160 or higher. Personally, I don't like huge icons.

I've run into your issue, but always managed to resolve it by reducing margin to none and playing with the rows and columns. FWIW, I use Apex launcher, landscape-only with 7 x 10 grid.

Reactions: alextop30
Upvote 0
Well I will give that a try other than switching the DPI. It seems not very positive to break the store for now.

I wonder why this cannot be fixed with the settings in CM9 under launcher and home screen. I practically tried every possible combination and it is absolutely unable to adjust the space created. I also tried to adjust the padding but that didn't work either.

It just seems to me like a easy to fix issue where you can be able to select the number of columns that are displayed on the screen. Again I just think this may be a good idea but how hard it is to write the code for an option like that may be a totally different idea.

Just saying :)

Upvote 0
Its the stock launcher. The settings don't even do anything - mine show 4x4 but changing them does nothing. It seems to default to 6x7 grid in landscape and 6x8 grid in portrait.... which is ******ed.

I've been running Nova Launcher and it works perfectly.

(Edit - Why can't I say r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d without it being censored?)

Reactions: alextop30
Upvote 0
Here is the final report I guess. Like Tim K said it is the Launcher that does not space things correctly and the options for the stock launcher do not work. I installed Nova launcher and configured it so it will be the way I like it and it is very nice now I have screens that do not cut app shortcuts and an awesome dock which I put my most used apps so I can access them with ease and from every home screen.

The only thing I wish is to be able to remove the microphone icon from the persistent search bar but I guess that's not possible just yet. Hopefully I will not be pressing it by accident a lot. But anyway cheers and thanks a lot for the help I really appreciate it!!!!

Upvote 0
You can disable the search bar in Nova.

Settings > Desktop > persistent search bar.

The search bar isn't really a search bar anyway...its not like a text box you can just start typing in, its just a shortcut itself. You can just disable it and add a text search shortcut to the homescreen through a long press - Nova Actions > text search

HOWEVER. Nova's search bar also contains the App drawer shortcut and Nova settings shortcut in the upper right. I suggest adding the Dock to get your app drawer shortcut and add a Nova settings shortcut too. If you don't want the dock, you can long press the homescreen and add app drawer and nova settings shortcuts - similar to above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones