• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Home screen shortcuts disappear after reboot

bmw1racer

Lurker
Mar 27, 2022
Every time I restart/reboot my Android 8.0 (can't upgrade) phone the shortcuts on my home screen disappear and I have to manually put them back on the home screen (if I can remember them).

Is this a bug and is there a way to correct this aside from not ever rebooting phone?

what phone do you have?

how often do you reboot your phone? all the time? every now and then? i only reboot or power off the phone, once in a blue moon. you should not have to always reboot or power off your phone all that often.

are you on a custom launcher? if not try Nova Launcher. and i would recommend you also get the Nova Prime as well. Nova Prime is a key that you only pay one time (even if you get a new phone, you will not have to pay again) and it unlocks a ton of customizations. been using it for almost a decade on various phones!!!!!

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I've got a Motorola E5 Play. I don't think it's phone related though. Yeah, I don't reboot the phone that often--only when I think it's running sluggishly for some odd reason. But when I do reboot it, it's annoying that I have to put all the shortcuts back on the home screen (if I can remember them all). I don't even understand why the shortcuts get removed in the first place... Seems like a bug.

No, I'm not using a custom launcher, but I'll take a look at Nova Launcher... Thanks.​

Upvote 0
I've got a Motorola E5 Play. I don't think it's phone related though. Yeah, I don't reboot the phone that often--only when I think it's running sluggishly for some odd reason. But when I do reboot it, it's annoying that I have to put all the shortcuts back on the home screen (if I can remember them all). I don't even understand why the shortcuts get removed in the first place... Seems like a bug.

No, I'm not using a custom launcher, but I'll take a look at Nova Launcher... Thanks.​
yeah try the custom launcher. also keep in mind that your phone is getting old fast. in came out in 2018 so more issues like this will start to pop up.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I don't think a phone from 2018 is that old. And it's probably one of the last phones that has a replaceable battery.
phones by design are meant 3-4 years....after that things will start to slow down and some apps will stop working as devs will stop supporting older versions.

the longest i have ever owned a phone is 3 years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones