• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I free up memory ? (i already deleted cache & apps, and I moved apps to SD)

It seems that my Samsung J2 (android 5.1.1) phone just gobbles up memory (even when I dont do so much).

I have 8GB internal memory.
* Half is used by the system.
* Almost half is used by me; even though I dont have that many 'apps' installed.
* 450mb used up on miscellaneous files. (but when I click it, there is only 15mb of files there! I've no idea where or what the other 435mb are).

I constantly delete cache with "Smart Manager"
I have moved ALL apps (where possible) to SD Card.
I have deleted all the apps that I don't use.
I have deleted old conversations from my chatting apps.

I am running out of ideas !

Even that it says I have 500mb of available space, I can't update any app.
(eg: What'sApp needs 14mb to update, but it says its out of space (despite 500mb available space)

It's asking me to delete about 120mb of apps in order to update WhatsApp 14mb !!!
(i assume something wrong with the way that my phone or Android is calculating the sizes and space of everything).

I have had the phone for 3 years.
When I bought my phone (3 years ago) I could easily get 40+ apps on the phone without any issue (and loads of space remaining).

Questions:
I cant delete my basic 15 apps. (I use them often).
- So what else can I delete ??
- With just 15 apps installed (cache deleted and many apps moved to SD card), why would I have all these issues ?

google play takes up 460mb !!! which is sooo frustrating.
uber even takes up 200mb (god knows why).
all the other apps are reasonable sizes (5mb to 70mb)

Any ideas what I could do ?

Thank you

The J2 was a fairly low end device 3 years ago. Today it's not really up to the task to run anything but the basics. There's nothing wrong with the way Android is calculating space and requirements. It's just that there are many things that they don't explain when buying phones.

First, forget about the system partition and the external SD card , they're not going to help you out. That internal 8 GB listed on the box is TOTAL memory which has to include the system, recovery, boot and user partitions. As you found out, you get about half of that to use. But you really don't. For Android to run, there needs to be some free space for temporary files and caches so android keeps a 300MB-500MB buffer which, when you get close, prompts you to free up memory. While the Whatsapp update download might be only 14MB, there's a lot that needs to go on to update it, and this is while your other apps are still running.

I think your best bet would be to back everything up (and I mean EVERYTHING ... texts, email, photos, music, game and app folders) and then do a factory reset. That will clean out your user partition and wipe your phone caches. That will give you a little wiggle room, but be advised there's not much to do to keep this phone from filling up again quickly and then you're right back in this same situation.

Can you think about replacing it with something a little more robust?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I think your best bet would be to back everything up (and I mean EVERYTHING ... texts, email, photos, music, game and app folders) and then do a factory reset. That will clean out your user partition and wipe your phone caches. That will give you a little wiggle room, but be advised there's not much to do to keep this phone from filling up again quickly and then you're right back in this same situation.

Thank you for your reply.
Would factory reset (and re-installing apps and data) wipe a different cache from what I already wipe using "Smart Manager" (which deletes cached residual files, and advertisement files) and also from deleting cache manually in the "Application Manager" settings ?

ie: I continuously delete the previous-mentioned cache. Is there more (hidden) cache that only a Factory Reset can wipe ?

Also: Do you know what might be wiped from the "user partition" from a reset ?
is there any other way to delete these excess files from the user partition? (to avoid factory reset)

Again, thank you for your previous reply.

PS:
I'd prefer to avoid getting a new phone.
I dont think I use such system heavy apps. (most of my apps are 'lite' versions).. aside from Uber App and Google Play (which are huge).

Upvote 0
The play store app is quite small, but it's google play services which is the largest. Google play services is what ensures compatibility between apps and different versions of Android and is required for Google apps to work at all. Uber most likely is storing maps.

Like any file system, after three years of use, updates and upgrades, there's going to be a lot of unnecessary files hanging around and the quickest way to get rid of them is to start fresh. It's a lot more efficient way of cleaning up that trying to sleuth out every byte on your own.

There are 10 apps in the play store called "Smart Manager" which one are you using? I can't say that it's helping you at all, though. Continually clearing caches is going to degrade performance and waste your battery as Android apps will always repopulate the cache as soon as the phone is idle.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
The play store app is quite small, but it's google play services which is the largest. Google play services is what ensures compatibility between apps and different versions of Android and is required for Google apps to work at all. Uber most likely is storing maps.

Like any file system, after three years of use, updates and upgrades, there's going to be a lot of unnecessary files hanging around and the quickest way to get rid of them is to start fresh. It's a lot more efficient way of cleaning up that trying to sleuth out every byte on your own.

There are 10 apps in the play store called "Smart Manager" which one are you using? I can't say that it's helping you at all, though. Continually clearing caches is going to degrade performance and waste your battery as Android apps will always repopulate the cache as soon as the phone is idle.

Thanks again for your detailed (and informative) reply.

Yes, you are correct. I meant Google Play Services.
I notice that within the Google Play Services there is a "CLEAR ALL DATA" button. (290mb)
Would I cause data-loss within all my apps if I press this ?

I think i'm warming to your idea of the Hard Reset.
it would clear out all the cobwebs (rather than trying to sleuth out every byte).

the 'smart manager' was a free app that came with the Samsung J2 phone.
- anyway, dont worry. I think it's as you suspected.

I'm liking the idea of the hard reset. Though, its an annoying process to back up everything and reinstall it all.
However, I will also find out the actual storage size that my Apps are taking up. This will provide a good benchmark for future decision making.

Thank you again ;)
Marc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones