• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I refuse the Android Lollipop Update?

Playto84

Lurker
Apr 1, 2015
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on the Sprint network and the phone comes with Android 4.4.4 Kit Kat right out of the box. Within 2 days the phone auto-downloaded the Lollipop system update which takes up just over 1 GB of space on the phone. I cannot decline this update and close it out to remove that 1 GB of data it occupies in order to keep the phone on a pure kit kat only build.

Is there anyway around this without rooting my device? I really just want to keep the snappy reliable performance and avoid upgrading to newer versions of Android especially Lollipop due to all the issues that appear to be cropping up with it relating to battery life and causing phones to heat up or overheat. Another nagging issue is that this update forces you to keep your GPS actively on if you want to utilize WiFi calling.

So basically I want to refuse the update, prevent future Android OS Updates and remove the 1 GB update file all without rooting my phone. Is this possible?

Thanks all in advance.

Last edited:
Hadron,

Thank you, I was able to find the option in my Settings Menu under "System Update" I turned off the auto update feature so it should no longer search for the updates. I will have to see if I can locate the Lollipop file in my downloads folder when I get home later. If I can delete the file I should be golden, but through the phone itself it just shows the icon at the top for the update and the only option when you open it is to accept and install.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Well I have the phone hooked up to my PC to navigate and the Download folder shows empty. This indicates that the download is hidden and only visible to somebody with Admin or rooted access. So I am open to suggestions at how to get this 1 GB file off my phone... bleh.

I decided to attempt to factory reset the phone to remove the update data from the phone. Upon resetting the device I made sure to turn off the automatically scan for updates option... This was all for not... The Device came back on and had more bloatware than it originally came with from the store THEN it still pushed the Lollipop download to the device and resumed nagging me to update. So that indicates Sprint pushes the update and bypasses anything you do to try and ignore it besides rooting...

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on the Sprint network and the phone comes with Android 4.4.4 Kit Kat right out of the box. Within 2 days the phone auto-downloaded the Lollipop system update which takes up just over 1 GB of space on the phone. I cannot decline this update and close it out to remove that 1 GB of data it occupies in order to keep the phone on a pure kit kat only build.

Is there anyway around this without rooting my device? I really just want to keep the snappy reliable performance and avoid upgrading to newer versions of Android especially Lollipop due to all the issues that appear to be cropping up with it relating to battery life and causing phones to heat up or overheat. Another nagging issue is that this update forces you to keep your GPS actively on if you want to utilize WiFi calling.

So basically I want to refuse the update, prevent future Android OS Updates and remove the 1 GB update file all without rooting my phone. Is this possible?

Thanks all in advance.

You should be able to reset your phone to factory settings, which should bring your phone to pre-update firmware. Unfortunately, everything else will be eliminated as well, and I'm sure that's quite problematic. Otherwise, there is no easy way of getting rid of that firmware update. What everyone else replied still applies.

Upvote 0
You should be able to reset your phone to factory settings, which should bring your phone to pre-update firmware. Unfortunately, everything else will be eliminated as well, and I'm sure that's quite problematic. Otherwise, there is no easy way of getting rid of that firmware update. What everyone else replied still applies.

While that may work,the problem the OP is having is that even though he can get to this point & unselect Auto-updating,SPRINT apparently ignores this & pushes the update download &/or cue & nags for the OP to update.
That can be annoying as hell & JMHO,downright obtrusive.
It's a shame that you virtually have to root/mod to live up to GOOGLE's new mantra:

BE TOGETHER,JUST NOT THE SAME.....

Upvote 0
While that may work,the problem the OP is having is that even though he can get to this point & unselect Auto-updating,SPRINT apparently ignores this & pushes the update download &/or cue & nags for the OP to update.
That can be annoying as hell & JMHO,downright obtrusive.
It's a shame that you virtually have to root/mod to live up to GOOGLE's new mantra:

BE TOGETHER,JUST NOT THE SAME.....
Ah... I do have Verizon, so that never really happened to me. I hate Verizon, but it seems they do this one thing correctly.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Well I have the phone hooked up to my PC to navigate and the Download folder shows empty. This indicates that the download is hidden and only visible to somebody with Admin or rooted access. So I am open to suggestions at how to get this 1 GB file off my phone... bleh.

I decided to attempt to factory reset the phone to remove the update data from the phone. Upon resetting the device I made sure to turn off the automatically scan for updates option... This was all for not... The Device came back on and had more bloatware than it originally came with from the store THEN it still pushed the Lollipop download to the device and resumed nagging me to update. So that indicates Sprint pushes the update and bypasses anything you do to try and ignore it besides rooting...

The same thing happened to me with AT&T, it forced the update on me and i didn't get a chance to back anything up to my Helium........ is there anyway i can clean up the unwanted stuff that'll slow my phone up ?

Upvote 0
Not sure if Verizon force feeds, but to make sure I only have 900mb free on my Note 4, but have space for media on my 128gb micro sd. The lack of free storage should stop any force feeding. I have a ton of apps and a lot of bigger games to fill it up. Sad I have to result to this, but since the Note 4 already works great, I have no desire to risk this or lose about 3GB of storage due to the ART file system.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I am on AT&T, and explicitly downloaded the update, which caused no problem with battery or speed (both improved). Reading this thread, however, I thought that I would look for the settings for auto updating, and do not find them anywhere. I even searched for them in Settings (search terms 'System' or 'update'). I would not want to get updated without my permission (especially a huge one like Lollipop), so would like to make this a 'manual only' operation. Anybody on AT&T able to tell us how to manage this?

Upvote 0
You may find Update bit in;
Settings---About Phone---Software Updates.
I got my Note 4 last week, and the first thing I did was to UNTICK software updating. Phone still on 4.4.4, and that's where it will stay till lollipop 5 has become trouble free.
Doesn't help the OP much I know. Perhaps it hasn't been forced on my phone because it was bought unlocked.
From Carphone Warehouse on o2 lines. UK

Upvote 0
I am on AT&T, and explicitly downloaded the update, which caused no problem with battery or speed (both improved). Reading this thread, however, I thought that I would look for the settings for auto updating, and do not find them anywhere. I even searched for them in Settings (search terms 'System' or 'update'). I would not want to get updated without my permission (especially a huge one like Lollipop), so would like to make this a 'manual only' operation. Anybody on AT&T able to tell us how to manage this?

I had the same experience as you. I am with Telus in Canada and I had no problem with the update. The phone actually has less lag and the battery performance is much better. I used to use my Note 4 in power saving mode with KK and now I do not. At the end of the day I have more battery life then I did before.

I did do a factory reset after the update installed as was recommended here on this forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones