• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How can you trust the ROM?

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I was bored and rooted my idle Moment to zRom 2.3 last night. It is a bit faster than stock 2.1, when I was frustrated that just opening the phone dialer would take 4-10 seconds (not kidding about the 10 seconds!!!).

The phone dialer seems faster, but I still get force close for certain things / apps, will keep playing with it.

But the one question I have, is how can we trust a ROM to know that it's not doing anything malicious, such as sending our Google mail / Market passwords to a 3rd party?

Are the ROMs all vetted and checked by many people to make sure it's okay, especially if it's from sdx? Anyone know?

You can't. LOading these roms isn't always for the faint hearted. If something stinks about a particular rom I don't load it. There have been several I decided not to try even though the possibility of something in one of them is very remote. Most of the "devs" are people with little to no programming experience that just package stuff that's already out there. The guys doing the coding are pretty trustworthy.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
AndroidSPCS;1691202]I was bored and rooted my idle Moment to zRom 2.3 last night. It is a bit faster than stock 2.1, when I was frustrated that just opening the phone dialer would take 4-10 seconds (not kidding about the 10 seconds!!!).

hey im new to this and saw this post u wrote and right now im trying to do the same with my samsung moment with the same rom you use zrom 2.3, and i was hoping u can help me out on installing rom manager doesn't have my phone when i try and to flash CWM recovery... how did u install it, and did u use a different kernel because i want to. and did u back up ur current rom before... can u help my out please

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones