• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I change default action in favorite contacts?

ggp

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2009
Whitewater, Wisconsin
I'm using an Eris at the moment, and favorites that were populated by default shows a card and prompts me for the desired action. I realize that selecting the name below the icon allows me to choose different actions, but I have very poor accuracy in trying to tap on just the name, so for contacts that I've added that I'm forced to choose a default action, it's very difficult for me to choose an alternate action.

The instruction manual says to "press and hold" the contact to change the default action, but that selects the entire widget to move or discard.

Does anyone know how to change the default action to prompt me each time I open a specific favorite contact?

I've seen this question for the Hero too, but with no answers. Posted on the HTC forum, but that's looking rather un-promising.

Tap the gray bar containing the contact name. This opens the contact information. Then hold the entry line (email, phone, etc) you want to change to be a default.

Tapping the picture area launches the default action for the favorite. Tapping the bar containing the contact name opens the contact information screen.

Upvote 0
If you are having trouble actually being able to tap the contact's name, here is another way to change the default action.

Tap the list icon at the bottom of the widget to go to your contact list. Go to Favorites (person with a heart), tap and hold the person you want to change. From there you can change the default action. Hope that is what you were going for!

Upvote 0
From there you can change the default action. Hope that is what you were going for!

I feel like a big dummy... I have no clue if I'm doing this wrong, or if there's something wrong with this phone. I'm looking at the details for a particular contact, and it says default next to call mobile. I want the default to be to prompt me which to choose, but nonetheless, even if I just wanted to change it from call to text, I can't even figure that out. Long pressing on anything on the screen does nothing, other than bringing up the phone, text or email application, and I can't find anything in the menu.

So, what is it that you do... "from there"? :thinking:

Upvote 0
If you are having trouble actually being able to tap the contact's name, here is another way to change the default action.

Tap the list icon at the bottom of the widget to go to your contact list. Go to Favorites (person with a heart), tap and hold the person you want to change. From there you can change the default action. Hope that is what you were going for!

I see the problem.
The op wants to create a favorite and be able to select that favorite and be presented with a display of the contact information.

The only way I have been able to do this is to add a shortcut to a page. Choose 'person' as the shortcut type. It will ask you to select the default action. View contact is one of the default actions.

The people widget (app that displays favorite contacts) will not allow you to choose a default action to display the contact information. It forces you to associate a default action to call, email or text.

Oops

Upvote 0
Seems when you merge a duplicate contact in Gmail who is also on your Eris' favorites list, the favorite's default action is removed and the phone brings up the contact details (choose call, message, or email) whenever you tap the favorite.

I'd like to figure out how to do this without the merge, of course. However, this demonstrates that it's not outside the phone's capabilities to prompt for action on a favorite.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones