• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how do i download anything with no data plan?

mzspaz

Lurker
Jan 18, 2011
Hi, I'm an android newbie :). I bought the lg gt540 without knowing that it'd be so limited without a data plan and here I am...

Just to double check, I can't access the market, calendar, etc without a data plan, right? It asks me to log into gmail but then fails, saying I have to send data.

I've been trying to download (from my browser on wifi) apps like Astro file manager, APNdroid, and various games but my problem is that I keep running into "Content not supported on the phone. No application can be found to open this file." Is there a way to fix this? Because I can't afford to get a data plan.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi, I'm an android newbie :). I bought the lg gt540 without knowing that it'd be so limited without a data plan and here I am...

Just to double check, I can't access the market, calendar, etc without a data plan, right? It asks me to log into gmail but then fails, saying I have to send data.

I've been trying to download (from my browser on wifi) apps like Astro file manager, APNdroid, and various games but my problem is that I keep running into "Content not supported on the phone. No application can be found to open this file." Is there a way to fix this? Because I can't afford to get a data plan.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You are running 1.6 or 2.1? Have you tried to use Market with Wi-Fi?

Upvote 0
You are running 1.6 or 2.1? Have you tried to use Market with Wi-Fi?

I have 1.6. When I'm connected to Wifi and I click on Market, it asks me to set up my Google account. But when I try to log in, it says "You don't have a network connection. ...your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services." Do I have to turn some sort of setting on?

Upvote 0
settings->data synchronization->background data

Will I be charged for that since I don't have a data plan?

Edit: Actually, I can't even do that because it asks me to sync with Google when I click on data synchronization and like before, it won't let me sync. It just says "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server ...your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services." I'm on wifi by the way... =\

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem but only since last night. I don't know if there was an update or something but I was getting away with using the Android Market and practically everything on my phone. However now I can't download anything and I'm getting the same message as you are. This is ridiculous and now because I can't synchronize my phone, I have no contacts anymore and need to find out how to fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones