• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I format SD in FAT32?

Oreosnax

Aug 18, 2023
Hi folks!

I understand from my previous thread that I need to get a new SD card, and format it in FAT32

But how do I do that?

I have only android devices. I haven't seen anywhere that let's me choose

I did a search of the forum here, and the only thread I found coming close to this topic was this long and cranky one, which did not resolve the issue:

Thanks very much for any help!

I have a Galaxy S20 phone running android 13, and the replacements for my dead tablet I've been looking at seem to all run android 11

its better if you insert the new sd card into your tablet. then go into settings>storage>format sd card. it will automatically format the card for you. now if does not see the new card formatted or not, then the issue is with the tablet. and my suggestion is to return it and get a different one....not the same one, a different one....preferably a better higher end one.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Have you verified that the SD card is currently not formatted as FAT32?

You can use DevCheck to see:

Tap on the Hardware tab on the top, then scroll down to Storage. Your SD card should be listed there, if it says vfat then it's FAT32.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
DevCheck says "Filesystem sdfat". What is that?

Wikipedia has no entry

I found an arduino site:

"The SdFat library supports FAT16, FAT32, and exFAT file systems on Standard SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards."

This does not help me to know whether I have FAT32 or exFAT

Any ideas for next steps?

I sure appreciate your folks' help on this!

Upvote 0
......Any ideas for next steps?.......

Yes, put it in your tablet and be done with it.
I appreciate your efforts, but the whole point here was that I bought a tablet, and my SD card didn't work in the tablet

I thought the problem was the tablet, so I returned it and bought a different one,different brand

and the same thing happened!

My old tablet anf my phone can both read the sd card fine, but both new tablets an not

before I buy a third tablet, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong

people here suggested that the problem was maybe that it wasn't formatted FAT32

So now I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Upvote 0
DevCheck says "Filesystem sdfat". What is that?
If it says "sdfat" that means it's either exFAT, FAT32, or FAT16.

It might be possible to use ADB to get more info or format to FAT32. Or use a computer - Windows defaults to FAT32 if it's 32GB or smaller and exFAT for 64GB or larger so you might need 3rd party partitioning software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones