• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Do I Free-up Space On My Internal Memory?

So if I look at an app in the app manager and it says:
Total..............200KB
Application......192KB
Data..............8KB

If I move it to the sd card am I only freeing 8KB of internal memory?

it will very from app to app on what is moved to the sd card and how much. also when you do apps2sd some of the widgets for those apps you move will not work.

Upvote 0
When I go to setup>applications>manage applications>downloaded, it says that I have 55 MB free when even though I have less than 40 apps downloaded. I read some comments on here about people having over 100 apps and still have space. I've moved all the apps I can to my SD card. Is there something that I'm missing since I'm almost out of space with less than 40 apps? Please help!!

Upvote 0
Such as? I'm stock rooted gingerbread.

apps2sd.. many custom ROMs have that built in.. it can move things to SD that the built in android can do.

partition the SD card .. for ext 2/3 MOD. this creates a small partition of your SDcard and it is used like a virtual part to the internal memory.

recommend you get a fast SDcard for this... you want class 6 or higher.

Upvote 0
Such as? I'm stock rooted gingerbread.

like dan says a2sd moves the entire app to the card not like what apps2sd does. when you move the apps to the card with the built in feature you are only moving part of the app. not all of it gets moved some of it stays on the card.

to move the entire app to the card you need to have the card partitioned and also it is recommended that you have a higher class card (class 6 or higher works best)

also you can always flash an aosp rom. these roms are smaller because they do not have sense cooked in. sense takes up a lot of space and is a resource hog. aosp roms are very small thus giving you more ram to work with.

please read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. it will have instructions on how to partition and move apps to your card.

Upvote 0
So recently I have had my EVO tell me that I am running out of disk space (Internally), so is there an App or a way I can view my internal files and delete them off. I know I can use the Market to delete Apps and I can use the stock Froyo Manage Applications to remove Apps, but I feel that files I download to my phone are going to my internal memory rather then my SD memory. I hope this makes sense and thanks for all the help! :)

The answer unfortunately is to get a new phone with more internal memory. I have the same issue. I install one app and then a few hours or days later the storage warning re-appears. This was a badly designed phone in terms of internal storage, the newer phones like the Design have much more. People who say to just move them to the SD Card don't realize that firstly not every app CAN be moved to the SD Card, and secondly, even if you do that, as an earlier poster wrote, the data and some other stuff still remains in the internal memory. My biggest hog is Contacts Storage, which is what happens when you migrate all your contacts to Google contacts (which I don't regret doing except for the 50MB of memory now used).

Upvote 0
DroidSail Super App2SD (Root) moves non-movable apps to your SD card. I'm not sure how it does it or if it's bad for your phone, but it seems to work fine for me.

Though, I still rather find out how to get more space.

well if you really want more space and you are rooted i would first try mikg3.0 then partition your card. follow that guide on how to partition and flash a rom as well. once yo do that you will see how much room it will give you. also you should invest in a higher card as well. but, this really should be discussed in the rooting section.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
Get APP2SDCard and delete cache whenever you can and I delete data on some apps. When I had the 4G now i have the 3D I would delete my FB data and just resign in to free up space and delete APP2SD lets you delete so much cache. Helps a little. I deleted Google Sky Map on my 4G and it was on my sd card and it freed up 30mb one time.

Delete text messages and put as many apps onto SD card as possible. Space will become available.

Upvote 0
I have this issue time to time. Usually when I make updates to my apps. I get my memory back when I just clear data on my most recent apps. I updated Facebook. It was using 15mbs or something. I cleared the data and got 50mb back. I have no explanation other than thats how I get my space back.

Also I moved all my voice mail to the SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones