• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How Do I Overclock The Droid?

Airmaxx23

Android Expert
Jun 21, 2010
I have my Droid X rooted, overclocked and setup with Apex. I rooted my wifes Droid for her last night and would like to apply some mild overclocking. What is the stock clock speeds/voltages and what is the easiest way the overclock the Droid? I spent quite a while looking through this forum and really couldn't find what I'm looking for.

basically.. get SetCPU and you can OC the stock kernel to like 800 IIRC. Beyond that, you need SetCPU and then need to find a Kernel (see sticky at top of forum) and just trial and error as to what Kernel will work best for your phone as it varies from phone to phone. and a kernel is flashed just like a ROM. You could even, but don't need per se, get the pay version of ROM Manager which allows you to download and install kernels from within it.

before you ask what kernel :) there are all kinds of threads here about "what kernel is best" and kernels each person recommends or likes or dislikes. again, what works for 1 phones does not for others. just have to try them.

Upvote 0
Any suggestions as to which kernel to start with? Thanks in advance.

here are the top 3 droid kernel developers.

chevyno1:
Index of /froyo/kernels3

slayher:
Froyo Kernels by slayher - CyanogenMod Forum

p3droid:
P3Droid Kernels

i would try something like this (http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/froyo/kernels3/ChevyNo1-1.0Ghz-lowV-7slot-update.zip) and go from there. that is a good middle of the road kernel on both speed and voltage. chevy's seem to play nice for most people, especially on stock ROMs. i have always run his in the past, but they don't work well with the custom ROM i am using now.

the best suggestion i have is to save a few different ones to the SD card before you start changing them so that you can simply pull the battery, reboot into recovery (physical keyboard "x" + power) and load the next one if you get stuck in a bootloop. also, be sure to make a full system backup via ROM Manager BEFORE you start. this way, you will always have a working image of your currrent OS saved to fall back on.

Upvote 0
Any suggestions as to which kernel to start with? Thanks in advance.

I have used both the P3 250-1000 LV kernel as well as the Slayher 1100 LV v1.6 kernel with the interactive governor. The P3 kernel was causing my Google Goggles to FC, but no such problem with the Slayher. Slayher did cause a boot loop which is easily fixed by the wifi patch available at the same location. With Slayher, I am running my Droid at 900/400, interactive, and was able to get a Quadrant score of 1281. All this with the CM6.1-RC5 ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones