• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I use HTC's software update on a rooted phone

I rooted my phone using the newbie guide here: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Can I go ahead and update my phone with the HTC software update? Supposedly the ROM I used from that newbie thread is the stock rom. I really want my -120 signal radio issue to go away. My phone is useless for about 4 minutes while it reboots and I'm afraid I'll need it for an emergency one day and not be able to use it.

If I can't use that update while rooted, what would is the suggested route I should take to update my phone? thanks in advance for the help.

I rooted my phone using the newbie guide here: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Can I go ahead and update my phone with the HTC software update? Supposedly the ROM I used from that newbie thread is the stock rom. I really want my -120 signal radio issue to go away. My phone is useless for about 4 minutes while it reboots and I'm afraid I'll need it for an emergency one day and not be able to use it.

If I can't use that update while rooted, what would is the suggested route I should take to update my phone? thanks in advance for the help.

Once you root you should follow the turn your phone into an evo 3d thread. Then you can flash different radios which will completely fix the radio interface error.

Upvote 0
I unrooted it and installed the update successfully. Now I'm highly PO'd because I backed up my SMS's with the phone's standard text messenger and now it says "unable to restore sms". Is there any software that can read those files on a computer?

If you made a nandroid before unrooting you can use app extractor from the market to recover the messages. Good luck, OB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones