• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you backup Apps to sideload later?

I just purchased an App from the Android Market (Thumb Keyboard).

I will be sending in my Xoom for the upgrade when it is available, but one of the requirements is to return the tablet back to its original state (factory default = wiping all data)

I know I can save off the entire contents of the device by simply copying all the files over to my computer PC system.

But I would like to be able just to make a backup copy of the software I bought. If something were to happen, I don't want to purchase the software again.

I checked the system/app folder but it is not loaded there. Does anyone know how I can pull this software off the tablet and possibly save the file as an .APK and then sideload it later if i need it?

Thanks
Ronin

As long as you sign in with the same Google account you wont be charged again for apps you purchased. This also works for multiple android devices (I grabbed several apps I'd already paid for on my EVO when I got my Zoom at no extra charge). Interestingly enough the same concept applies to ipods/ipads. As long as you use the same email/pw you're set

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones