• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you reinstall a system app?

Kevin82485

Jan 6, 2011
I was uninstalling some bloatware system apps last night, and I got a little over zealous and accidentally uninstalled the Live Wallpaper Picker. I have done quite a bit of research since this happened, but I can't seem to get things working. I have the latest Android SDK, including ADB. I have what I assume is a working apk for the live wallpaper which I have placed in the tools folder of the Android SDK. I have tried using adb, but I don't really understand what I need to be doing to get this app reinstalled as a system app.

I am able to get my device to show up when I type adb devices. But after that I get lost with the commands. adb remount doesn't not work, it complains that it failed because the operation is not permitted. When I run adb devices and adb shell I get this:

c:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
<My serial # here> device

c:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system yaffs2 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock9 /persist yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock1 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,u
id=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset
=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relat
ime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,ioch
arset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

At this point, I don't know what to do. I have tried running other commands from this point forward, but they do not work successfully.

Prior to getting the SDK, I copied the apk to my sd card, and tried to install it from there, I also copied it to the system/app folder and installed it from there as well. It tells me that it installed successfully, but it either case, when I tried to open the Live Wallpaper it just crashes on me, and says "The application Live Wallpaper Picker (process android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Well, I try again and it still doesn't work. When I open Titanium Backup, I can see it listed as an installed app, albeit it is not Red in color. I'm guessing the app needs to show as red which would indicate that it has sufficient rights.

I'm guessing the easiest way is to pay for root manager, but I would like to avoid buying it if possible.

Somebody help me out please.

Lol, I have absolutely no clue how I did this, but the Live Wallpaper Picker is properly installed and recognized as a system app. I didn't even use adb. I thought that I had done this before, and it didn't work, but I think I got it to work by simply copying the apk to /system/app.

I used AndroidMate to move the file.

I guess the only lingering question I have is how do I return it back to a read only state? I can't seem to change it back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones