• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How durable is the Nexus 7 2014?

pengyou

Feb 17, 2011
North Dakota
11 months ago - thankfully it is still under warranty - I bought an ASUS 10" windows tablet. I have used it a total of 30 hours in the first nine months - very easy use, never left my desk, dropped, banged, etc. It was pronounced officially dead a month ago by the local ASUS shop. I was told to mail it in to have the motherboard replaced!!! I asked him if this was common. He didn't answer. I won't type the rest of our conversation here but the gist of it was that ASUS products, in his opinion, are not very durable. How about the 7-2014?

I started using pda's wayyyy back in the mid 90s. My first was a Cassiopeia (Casio), followed by a Palm, then an HP (loved that little pda!!!), an HP Jornada 7xx. After that I lost momentum, and lost a very useful tool for organizing my life. I have a smart phone but I like to separate my tablet tools from the telphone functions - also like the larger screen of a tablet but prefer the smaller size of an iPhone sized android :D I think a 7" would be just right for a tablet - they seem to make very good ebooks as well.

I don't abuse my things but I need something that is not fragile or delicate. Dual core seems to be a minimum requirement but I was hoping to get quad core with extra memory so that android 5 (when it comes out) will run more smoothly on it.

Any ideas?

There's a 2014 model of the Nexus 7 already?! :eek:
Just joking. I have the 2012 and while I'm careful with all my devices, I think it could certainly hold up to a drop at a small distance. The 2013 version looks much the same (in terms of build quality).
I've owned an Asus Transformer Prime in the past and it's served me well, along with a desktop from them so I've no qualms with the build quality.
If you can hold out a few months, a new Nexus 7 may be reveled (and perhaps by a different manufacturer).

Upvote 0
Google I/O 2014 begins on June 25th and often new Nexus devices and versions of Android are announced then, so you shouldn't have to wait long to see what is or isn't announced at that time.

(there's no way to know specific specs or dates or times--you'll just have to wait like the rest of us :))

For the record, my 2012 (first gen) Asus Nexus 7 has been without issue and, IMO, awesome.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones