• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How important are Android and App Security Updates?

Windroid

Android Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2023
I'd be very warry of a computer (including tablets/smartphones) that's connected to the Internet, yet no longer receiving security updates! Yet multiple people on forums have told me that Android systems without OS security updates can be used safely, so long as you otherwise have good security practices. So I'm starting this thread, a thread where we can discuss the question: How important are security updates for Android OS, and the apps that run on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Very!

The modern Android operating system is extremely complex. Security experts comb through the lines of code, looking for potential vulnerabilities that bad actors could potentially exploit. Hackers could use those vulnerabilities to insert ransomware, spyware, key loggers or take over the device.

As these potential vulnerabilities are identified, Google works with device manufacturers to develop patches to close the vulnerabilities. Those patches are then included in the security updates. That's why it's important to keep any connected device updated with the latest security patches.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I always update my phone. There are quite a few here who do not, however. It's mainly because they hate Google or do not trust them.

I think it's important for sure, but it's not the end of the world when the manufacturers and carriers stop supporting the device. There are no viruses for Android. Malware.....yes, viruses......no. malware needs to be installed and so Android will always ask about installing. Some Malware can piggyback on an another app you install......so really you just need to be careful on what you download and install.

Plus security updates closes vulnerabilities on YOUR phone. Basically closing any chance of rooting a device. Since rooting bypasses the phone's top security, they want to make sure that any weak spots get closed up.

Back in the day, on a rooted phone, you would never update your phone as it could potentially uproot the phone or put the phone in a weird state.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
My two 2020 Xiaomi phones now receive security patches 3 to 4 months apart and generally bring them up to the first of the previous month. One went 5 months behind until Xiaomi sent out a MIUI version update, maybe along with Android 12 iirc.

This is normal practice for a few major brands I think, quarterly updates, so many / most people are never within two months of the latest patch.

I have two older phones that have not received security patches for approximately 2 years, though I only use one of them for a second number and almost never use banking on that, or Google Pay on the other.

It cannot be that critical if few people get them in a timely fashion. That's all I'm saying. :)

Upvote 0
So Is a Dec 22 or Jan 23 update safe enough, or are we in dire trouble until the Feb update arrives and we can safely use our phones and leave the bunker again? I don't think anyone knows. :)
That's not a counter-augment, that's just mockery. And frankly, it says more about you than it does about me! Clearly, getting a virus is bad. Clearly, a virus hacking into your bank account, or something is bad. And clearly, not having security updates increases one's risk of a virus! How much does it increase the risk? That's the question.

Notice: You made an argument, you said "It cannot be that critical if few people get them in a timely fashion.". I pointed out that the same thing happened with cars, that there was a time when cars didn't include seatbelts. So, unless you think seatbelts are "not that critical", I've shown that big companies can and have refused to give safety/security features which really are that critical!

I'm not even saying that you're necessarily wrong. Maybe being a month or two behind on Android security updates really is "not that critical", provided you otherwise have good security habits. I'm just saying: There's another possibility.

By mocking me: You're saying "I didn't really have a valid point in the first place, but I don't want to admit it". And that's not fair, you do have a valid point! I just have a valid counter-point.

Upvote 0
this is a great response by chatGPT for the question of "what are the odds of my phone getting hacked?"
The odds of your phone getting hacked depend on a variety of factors, including the security measures you have in place, the types of activities you engage in on your phone, and the likelihood of being targeted by hackers.
If you have strong security measures in place, such as a complex password, two-factor authentication, and regularly updated software, your phone is less likely to be hacked. However, if you engage in risky behaviors like downloading apps from unverified sources or clicking on suspicious links, your phone may be more vulnerable to hacking attempts.
It's also important to consider the likelihood of being targeted by hackers. If you're a high-profile individual or work in a sensitive industry, you may be more likely to be targeted by sophisticated hackers. However, for the average user, the risk of being targeted is relatively low.
Overall, while the risk of your phone being hacked is not zero, taking steps to improve your security and avoiding risky behaviors can significantly reduce the likelihood of a successful hacking attempt.

Reactions: Davdi
Upvote 0
Here's a tweaked version of the above, using GPT-3:

what are the odds of my android 11 phone getting hacked

The odds of your Android 11 phone being hacked are very low. Android 11 is the most secure version of the Android operating system to date, and Google has taken steps to make sure that it is as secure as possible. However, no operating system is completely secure and there is always a risk of your phone being hacked. To reduce this risk, you should ensure that your device is running the latest version of Android and that you have installed the latest security updates. Additionally, you should only download apps from reputable developers and sources, avoid connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, and use a secure password for your device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones