• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long does your battery last in your i5700?

Hi all!

How long does your battery last in your i5700?

Mine is under 24 hrs, and I'm not very happy about that! I have tried to kill all apps I don't need, I have turned off all things I don't need (wi-fi, 3g, edge etc). I have installed a battery monitor to try to find the things that drain my battery, but I can't find any leaks.

Please help me, or should I return the phone to the shop?

-Pv

Hi all!

How long does your battery last in your i5700?

Mine is under 24 hrs, and I'm not very happy about that! I have tried to kill all apps I don't need, I have turned off all things I don't need (wi-fi, 3g, edge etc). I have installed a battery monitor to try to find the things that drain my battery, but I can't find any leaks.

Please help me, or should I return the phone to the shop?

-Pv

I believe this is dependent on the firmware you use, the applications you have installed and what do you do with the phone.

For me it lasts around 48 hours with little talking, a few hours of wifi web browsing, a few hours of music listening, some games and another few hours of GPS navigation usage.

I do not have any auto task killer installed, all the google synchronization is on manual and all the applications that want to use internet for update (weather stuff mainly) are also set on manual. Also, the location service is stopped.

It might be useful to know that i am using the 2.1 JCB firmware, i have no idea how the battery lasts with the 1.5 firmware.

Upvote 0
Another good thing is to drain your battery completely the next time you use and charge it back up for 4 hours or more. This will reset the battery indicator which judges the percentage of the batter left in the device?

I have tested this on the camera batter which I didn't charge all the way when I started using it first and then I had to use the following trick to get the max usage from the battery. Try it....your usage time might just increase!

Upvote 0
Another good thing is to drain your battery completely the next time you use and charge it back up for 4 hours or more. This will reset the battery indicator which judges the percentage of the batter left in the device?

I have also read about this and tried it even if i had doubts.

There was no change, the battery lasts the same and the indicator is still wrong.

I don't think it counts the time you kee the device plugged in after a complete discharge.

The device has an overload protection circuit and it will stop charging the battery when its full. It might however help to recalibrate the battery indicator, but it did not worked for me. I guess it is a firmware problem and it will probably be fixed in the future.

Upvote 0
I installed a battery monitor, and it found a idle temp (don't know where the temp is monitored, cpu, battery or...) at 30-35 degrees celsius (86-95 deg F). Is that normal? I'm starting to wonder about waterdamage even if I hardly have used the phone outdoors since I got it a week ago... :mad:

The phone was charging all night last night. I do belive I slept for more than 4 hrs :p.

Upvote 0
Tired of this phone. When the battery won't last, for more than 10 hrs without using wifi, 3G, bluethooth or anything else that drains the battery, then it's no fun with a new phone.

I'm going to return it to the webshop a bought it from first day after the easter holliday.

Next phone is going to be a "not samsung" phone! Love android! Love the screen of the i5700, Hate not getting 2.1, Hate the batterycapasity/usage.

I do belive my phone is what we call in norway a "monday phone", A phone that is just a bit broken. thank god there is a 14 day return policy in norway for all web purchases. I don't hate samsung in any way! So don't hate me for not wanting more samsungs....

There was also other things with this purchase that I'm NOT satisfied with so there not only the batteryissue i'm unhappy with.

Upvote 0
Not sure what your doing, but wife gets 2 days + and from her Spica with regular bluetooth, wifi and gaming (solitaire) use.

Install spare parts app from market, and that will tell you what apps are killing your battery too quickly.

Turn off frequent facebook, twitter and email checking, reduce screen brightness, turn off wifi and bluetooth unless being used etc etc.

Upvote 0
Install APNdroid, and use it to turn off 3G etc when not in use. Use Switchers to turn off WIFI/gps etc when not in use. Turn off auto sync data (gmail etc).

Turn off the phone when you're not going to answer it rather than leaving it on.

I've been surprised at how long the battery lasts given the fancy stuff this phone does - certainly (unless you hammer it) a couple of days.

I've had far less interesting phones that couldn't hold a charge as long - it's just a case of not leaving all the bells and whistles running all the time.

Upvote 0
As I said, there must be something wrong with this phone, and the easiest way to fix it is to return the phone to the webshop within the 14 days. The return policy in norway states tat you can return items purchased over the web (within norway) and get a full refund.

If the phone has a problem with it witch the service senter doesn't find, I don't want to be more troubled with this phone.

I really has come to love this little phone! I do not want to return it, but I also want a phone I can trust. I even might buy a new i5700 in a shop when I have returned my current "broken" i5700.

I have turned off ALL the things I can, installed APNDroid (Love that application). I do not use ANY internet based services (myspace, facebook, googlemaps...) I manually check my mail once or twice during the day. And with all that the battery dies after ca 9-10 hrs.

And as a conclusion: The phone is "broken", and I don't want to wait for it to be repaired. It's a new phone, and it SHOULD work.

Thanks to all trying to help, but the only help I need is a new phone :)

Upvote 0
I find that it is the screen that uses most battery. Lower backlight helps. I can play music (spotify) a whole work day + car travel = 10 hours and still have 50-70% battery left. But if I play with the phone and have the screen on it doesn't last that long. I use Battery Status Free to check battery usage.

Upvote 0
Ok, I charged my phone to 100% and unplugged it at 17.00 last night. During the night (I work nights), I made a couple of five minute calls, browsed the net for maybe 30 minutes, read a digital book for another 30-40 minutes and downloaded and installed 2 apps.

It's now 10am and it's got 80% battery left.

Auto data sync is off, and I turn off 3G/wifi using switcher and APNdroid when I'm not using them.

I've been a long-term user of K800is, and can assure any 3G doubters that disabling 3G when not in use doubles that phone's battery-life.

It seems likely to me that the big power drains here are 3G/wifi (data-sync), and (as mentioned above) the screen.

Also worth remembering is that ALL smart phones hate batteries. iPhones, HTCs, Motorolas (particularly), etc - they all eat batteries like they're going out of fashion. It's the absolute #1 criticism of these types of phone.

*edit*

22 hours now, been using it solidly as an MP3 player for the last 2 hours and still 70% charged...

Upvote 0
Ok, I charged my phone to 100% and unplugged it at 17.00 last night. During the night (I work nights), I made a couple of five minute calls, browsed the net for maybe 30 minutes, read a digital book for another 30-40 minutes and downloaded and installed 2 apps.

It's now 10am and it's got 80% battery left.

Auto data sync is off, and I turn off 3G/wifi using switcher and APNdroid when I'm not using them.

I've been a long-term user of K800is, and can assure any 3G doubters that disabling 3G when not in use doubles that phone's battery-life.

It seems likely to me that the big power drains here are 3G/wifi (data-sync), and (as mentioned above) the screen.

Also worth remembering is that ALL smart phones hate batteries. iPhones, HTCs, Motorolas (particularly), etc - they all eat batteries like they're going out of fashion. It's the absolute #1 criticism of these types of phone.

*edit*

22 hours now, been using it solidly as an MP3 player for the last 2 hours and still 70% charged...

*edit*

So, 24 hours now near as damn it. Calls made, web browsed, music listened to, apps installed/used. 70% charge left.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem where my batt was almost dead after 24 hours and that was without excessive us

But after reading some suggestion about turning off gmail auto sync and setting task killer to auto kill apps I have had no problems and can now pretty much use my phone with wifi & other apps in constant use for long periods of time and not have to charge my phone more than once every 48hours

Upvote 0
These smart phones are pretty damn raw/new and all seem to have quirks and need some tweaking.

So far, with 3G killing and task killing and only turning on wifi when in use, I'm pretty damn impressed with the battery life on the i5700.

The NPS issues are tedious, but even with 1.5, the phone is (to me) supremely useful/fun. It's not like you need NPS for anything other than updating given Gmail sync and mass-storage mode.

Answer is:

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Upvote 0
I have to say that I'm beginning to wonder if those of you who are moaning about battery life didn't bother doing a full charge before initially turning on your phone (when you first received it) and thus have wrecked the battery. The more time I spent trying to drain the battery (in an attempt to get a firm idea of what I can expect) the more I am impressed by it's long life...

Upvote 0
I have to say that I'm beginning to wonder if those of you who are moaning about battery life didn't bother doing a full charge before initially turning on your phone (when you first received it) and thus have wrecked the battery. The more time I spent trying to drain the battery (in an attempt to get a firm idea of what I can expect) the more I am impressed by it's long life...

To be honest, this is my first smart phone and i know nothing about it. Battery life is definitely a problem for someone like me. Do u mind telling me how to off or kill my 3g pls or recommend an app for it.... thx in advance! ***in (setting->wireless & network settings->mobile network), there isn't an option of choosing 2G only**

just an add on question, after my "auto task killer" kills apps and i tried to press home button for a long period of time to check out the list of background apps. Unfortunately, the background apps are still there on the list even though they are gone on the list of ATK. Does that mean my ATK isn't working on my phone or this happens to everyone?

Upvote 0
Download 'Taskpanel' from marketplace. When you've used an app you want to stop from running in the background (NOT stuff that reminders and alarms require such as Calender, obviously, also probaly not Music etc), open Taskpanel, long-click the task, then add to autokill list.

Next time you turn the screen off (lock the screen) taskpanel will autokill the apps in the list (and will continue to do so every time they start, and the screen goes off).

Download 'APNdroid' from the marketplace and use it to turn 3G off when you're not using it (ie; when you're not browsing or whatever). DO NOT UNINSTALL THIS APP WITH 3G OFF since it'll mess your settings. It's a great little app though - put a widget on your home screen.

Turn off all the data syncs and sync manually when you want to check email/update contacts etc.

Turn off wifi and GPS (using the provided 'Switchers' when you're not using them).

Turn down the screen brightness to the lowest level you're still happy with.

If you do all that, you should find your battery life is massively improved.

Reactions: c-loud and k1nd3ru
Upvote 0

1. I'm not moaning abouy battery life! I'm complaining about battery life!

2. I am an electronics enginieer, I know how to charge a battery.

3. I previous sold phones for serveral years, the batteries have not changed (even if the phones has) since I sold my last phone.

So, No, I have not wrecked the battery. My phone was broken before I got it. The running temperature of my phone was a good indication of that. The phone should NOT be 30 degrees celsius when not beein used! and over 40 when used.

My phone is returned to the shop. And I'm waiting to buy a new phone soon.

Upvote 0
I have to say that I'm beginning to wonder if those of you who are moaning about battery life didn't bother doing a full charge before initially turning on your phone (when you first received it) and thus have wrecked the battery
Irrelevant. That was only true with nickel-based batteries, the Spica (and almost all new phones) use lithium-based ones, the 1st charge is no different to the 10th

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones