• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long should I wait for a new phone?

Drayken

Jan 22, 2011
Is the Bionic worth the wait? And after reading all this, does anyone have the best way I can save money, but not get stuck with an old phone? Ok, here is the situation. My NE2 was up in August. I was stupid, and was waiting for HTC to release a phone like the Inc. but newer. So, I passed over the Moto X, and just waited. (I am still using an LG Dare) :rolleyes: Well, I never found out that Verizon cut off their NE2 until AFTER the 16th deadline, or I would have obviously used up my $100 credit, so I get to use it one more time, then it's gone. One other problem is, they have the promotion, that if you add a smartphone, you get $9.99 off, since they will let you share minutes for free. (this lasts for 24 months). I talked to a rep, and she said the promo ends on Jan. 30th. So if I don't do something this week, I will lose out $240 of savings.

Any advice on what to do? It really seems like the Bionic is the best phone to get within the next 6 months or so. I REALLY hate to lose the $240 savings with the promo, but also dislike the idea of being stuck with the MotoX for TWO years, since I won't be able to upgrade in only one year now. (if I sign for a one year, I lose my $100 NE2) So, how much is it worth to wait for the Bionic? LOL. Or any other ideas?

How long should i wait for a new phone?

2 years! But now that your questioning, No phone for you!!! (soup nazi)

LOL, I see. I wasn't sure what you meant. Well, There is no way I can see myself getting a new X now. I read on this forum that we will still be able to get 1 yr contracts, but that is not so. I just stopped in at Verizon, and they said NO 1 yr contract prices. It is either 2 yr, or full retail. So I guess I need to get a used one before the 30th.

Upvote 0
They're lying to you... Or misinformed. 1 year contacts will be available for $70 more than the 2 year contract

Ya, thanks. I found it on their site. I think they are misinformed. Now my only problem is, how do I get any use from my $100 off, since I don't want a 2 yr contract, since all the good phones will be out this year. LTE is actually around my area already, so no way do I want to be stuck with a 3G phone for 2 yrs.

Upvote 0
The NE2 credit is only for 2 year contracts? probably the best option if you want to use it is on a phone that you think you'll enjoy for 2 years. If something comes along that you would really like, you could sell your phone for hopefully $350 - $400+ and buy a new one for full retail. Verizon is making it a lose-lose for the most part.

I have a couple lines that are eligible for upgrade. I called verizon, and they said if I upgrade on lets say, line "1", for two years, but any time before that is up, I wanted to upgrade, I could use the upgrade from one of my other lines, and then just activate that phone on my line "1". I want to call again and talk to someone else to confirm. It sounds a little too easy.

I know I won't want the DX for two years, but there is SOOO many discounts right now. $9.99 off for 2 yrs, plus I gotta use my $100 credit within the next 6 months or it expires. And the kicker, I keep reading that verizon will be going to a tier system for Data. If so, I gotta get on an unlimited plan ASAP, to get grandfathered in. Sigh....Just not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
Buy the DX, its a great phone. If you want the Bionic just sell the DX for a few hundred on ebay (its damn near free with your upgrade and what-not) and pony up the hundred and fifty or so extra to buy the Bionic at full retail if you really think its worth it.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised with the DX, what about the Bionic is it that strikes your fancy so much? The processor? Do you honestly think you are going to be doing that much that the DX's 1Ghz (which you can OC up to 1.45Ghz, mine comfortably does 1.3Ghz) won't be enough for you? Chances are the unlimited data even if you are grandfatherd in will not cover 4G LTE, only 3G, so you'll have to pay more for the plan every month anyhow.

Upvote 0
Buy the DX, its a great phone. If you want the Bionic just sell the DX for a few hundred on ebay (its damn near free with your upgrade and what-not) and pony up the hundred and fifty or so extra to buy the Bionic at full retail if you really think its worth it.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised with the DX, what about the Bionic is it that strikes your fancy so much? The processor? Do you honestly think you are going to be doing that much that the DX's 1Ghz (which you can OC up to 1.45Ghz, mine comfortably does 1.3Ghz) won't be enough for you? Chances are the unlimited data even if you are grandfatherd in will not cover 4G LTE, only 3G, so you'll have to pay more for the plan every month anyhow.

Thanks. I think I will be getting the DX. To be honest with you, I don't think ANY of the hardware in the new phones should matter to "me" that much. I am coming from an LG Dare, lol. Only thing I am bummed about, is not having 4G speed. It is already in the area that I work in.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I think I will be getting the DX. To be honest with you, I don't think ANY of the hardware in the new phones should matter to "me" that much. I am coming from an LG Dare, lol. Only thing I am bummed about, is not having 4G speed. It is already in the area that I work in.

Yeah, I have 4G LTE here as well but you'll probably get stuck paying more per month for it anyhow. 3G is still really fast, especially on a powerhouse like DX, so I think you'll still be "oooooing and ahhhhing" over your new Droid X just because you're coming from an LG Dare. There is a reason its arguably the best phone out right now until the dual-cores come out...

Upvote 0
still running with my droid 1 rooted as i am also waiting for my upgrade...i have decided will be a dual core phone with front facing camera and possibly a physical keyboard. i am still more than happy with my droid 1 rooted and don't see me using my upgrade for something that will "blow the droid 1 away" and i have not seen it yet. needless to say i will have to be more than satisfied before i renew my 2 yr contract now, knowing that you must ride a full 20 months before upgrading now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones