• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many people are having cracked screens?

polaris2k3

Lurker
Jul 27, 2010
Okay here is my problem, the screen on my nexus one cracked (on the inside under the glass) twice in a span of 6 months and HTC is trying to make me pay to fix it. There is *absolutely nothing* that I can think of that can even possibly cause the screen to break. It cracked twice at approx. the same place near the TOP of the screen. I've been using cellphones for the past 13yrs, had 2 iPhones and none of them broke like this. Very bitter taste in my mouth after using the Android and HTC platform for the first time. As it stands right now, I would rather have an iPhone4 with a defective antenna than to have choosen Google and HTC.

So here is my question: How many people are having the same problem? If you see my same question in other forums, please don't answer twice. I am a real user, a real person. After people start responding, I'm going to forward my threads to the reporter at cnet that had the same problem to hopefully have Google recognize this issue.

*If you DO NOT have this problem, but have an opinion to post, I deeply appreciate your opinion, but please don't do it here. This is strictly to see how often this is happening to N1 users.*

Take better care of it.

Never cracked a screen for ANY phone I own (and I work a semi-physical job which lands my phone in harms way and I've never had so much as a scratch on my N1 screen).

My .02

Agreed mate, unless you drop it or sit on it and bend it i dont see how a screen can crack?!?!

Never in my life.........(gosh hope i havent cursed it now :()

Upvote 0
Dropped my phone 3 times in the past 2 weeks (never dropped it before). One was a drop from twice the normal height (was standing on a platform and some1 knocked it out of my hands).
Result: very minor dent in the top corner, the rest of the phone is still mint.

So far pretty happy with the manufacturing of this device, it's not easy to have a phone that's 50% glass and shock-resistant.

Upvote 0
I've never dropped it thank god and I hope I won't at all. Have it since launch day. Dropped it once but caught it with my foot :D haha

Now that I have my Otter case I'm much more confident It won't break but still I'm cautious.

There have been many reports on this forum about glass breaking do a search.

Upvote 0
Thats the problem, it wasn't dropped, and it wasn't sat on. When I pulled it out and saw the crack, I was sitting down and it was in my front pocket. I've been using phones for a while and I know how to use a phone. A screen on any phone IS NOT suppose to crack under normal use, but that is exactly what is going on here. HTC is offering to fix it first for 20% off, and now they're offering 50% off on the cost of repairs after numerous calls back and forth. I'm going to call them Monday and tell them I don't find that acceptable. Why is it that I have to pay to fix a phone I bought less than 6months ago, TWICE, for the same issue, when it was under normal use.

Upvote 0
Thats the problem, it wasn't dropped, and it wasn't sat on. When I pulled it out and saw the crack, I was sitting down and it was in my front pocket. I've been using phones for a while and I know how to use a phone. A screen on any phone IS NOT suppose to crack under normal use, but that is exactly what is going on here. HTC is offering to fix it first for 20% off, and now they're offering 50% off on the cost of repairs after numerous calls back and forth. I'm going to call them Monday and tell them I don't find that acceptable. Why is it that I have to pay to fix a phone I bought less than 6months ago, TWICE, for the same issue, when it was under normal use.

Next your going to say it was lying on table and cracked, you must of bent it in your pocket or something.

Upvote 0
My Nexus' screen is in perfect condition since March, there are no scratches, dead pixels nor CRACKS! :D And although I do take good care of it, I don't over baby it. My nexus is naked and lives in its neoprene pouch when not in use. I never put it on tabletop without a napkin, the pouch or something soft underneath.

I have put it in my pockets many many times in both the front and back pockets of very tight dress pants and skinny jeans and commited the ultimate crime...I've sat on it many time as well :D It may be because I'm a light weight that I haven't cracked the screen yet XD

There are already a few threads on this between, lol.

Cheers,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
Ah, I do exactly the same--naked when not in pouch, and I usually put something between it and a table/surface (usually the pouch, poor abused thing; it's got creases now :(). Do have a screen protector on it, though, but it's nothing solid. I just put it there because I don't want fingerprints on the actual screen.

Upvote 0
first.. i dont think that a screen craking has anything to do with android OS.. i would blam it on htc or htcs screen suplier..

i just experienced a crack on my phone, just last weeked my wife sat on my lap right ontop of my phone which was in my front pocket.. the crack is very small so no biggy.

since you have experience the crack in the same place twice, i would suggest to make sure you are not putting stress on that specific are of you phone while in your pocket or while in a holder or car dock or anything like that.. combination of stress and temperature could make a screen crack.

Upvote 0
Just FYI, I was at a concert this weekend (Lollapalooza, if you must know!) and I happened to glance over twice at people next to me using iPhones, and I saw two cracked screens (one was so bad I don't know how the guy even used the phone).

Anyway, phones with glass screens break. I don't doubt that you take good care of your phone, but more than likely at some point it took it good jolt that started the cracking process.

Upvote 0
Dropped my phone 3 times in the past 2 weeks (never dropped it before). One was a drop from twice the normal height (was standing on a platform and some1 knocked it out of my hands).
Result: very minor dent in the top corner, the rest of the phone is still mint.

So far pretty happy with the manufacturing of this device, it's not easy to have a phone that's 50% glass and shock-resistant.

Just curious, what surface did you drop it on? I've dropped mine three times but all landed on carpet/rug. Quite worried about it landing on hard surface one day.

Upvote 0
1 drop on hardwood floor from standing height, the high drop was just on hard wood (not really a floor :p) and the third drop was minor height but on very hard kitchen tiles (a 50kg stone was once thrown on these tiles and it only chipped off a little piece).

Also I kinda caught the phone with my foot a bit on that first drop but that actually flinged it harder, making the impact greater. For a second there I feared I had kicked my phone to death o_O

Upvote 0
Heres my update: After numerous emails and phones calls back and forth, HTC finally agreed to fix my phone free of charge.

My advice for ppl having the same problem: Be honest, tell them what happened. Stay firm but respectful. Make sure they understand your dismay, but do not make it personal - the person on the other line is just following company guidelines and doing their jobs.

I dont know what did it, cause first I was offered 20% off then 50% off the repair costs (which I still think is bullsh!t, if the customer is at fault, then he/she should pay full to get repairs, if the device is bad, then HTC should fix it for free to boot, not offering "discounts"). But the last message I sent to HTC before getting the free repair offer was I quoted the CNET reporter that had hers replaced for free as well.

My experience with their customer service? Seeing as how I finally got justice in the end, I'm a lot happier than I could be. But the process is far, farrr from easy and what it should be.

And if anyone is wondering, I'm selling my N1 as soon as I get it back. Cause from my experience, the hardware design is clearly faulty. If it can break once and twice, there is no doubt in my mind that it will break a third time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones