• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much available storage space?

westbros

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
Please could people tell me how much available space there is on the Note 3 for storage (i.e. space left after the OS and preloaded software)? I watched the following unboxing on Youtube:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Unboxing and Overview - YouTube

At 12:35 into the video you see that the OS takes up 6GB and that you have 25.62GB free for storage. However when I saw the Note 3 for the first time in the shop today the system memory was showing 13GB, and after all the other software was added on there was little more than 13.5GB left for storage.

So which is correct? Both phones are 32GB models. The reason I ask is that I am planning to buy the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, and that is available in 16/32/64GB models. If the onboard software is as huge as on the Note 3, that will leave virtually no space on the 16GB version, and I would have to look at the 32GB version instead.

Thanks.

I'm guessing it's in the neighborhood of the original GN 10.1:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 review | ZDNet

You're not comparing like with like. Last year's 10.1 was only running ICS 4.0.1 out of the box and did not have anything like the complex S Pen software that's in this year's version. Why else would the memory have been increased from 2GB to 3GB?

The software on board the GN 10.1 2014 is much more akin to that found on the GN3 apart from the phone functionality. Hence my question.

Upvote 0
You're not comparing like with like. Last year's 10.1 was only running ICS 4.0.1 out of the box and did not have anything like the complex S Pen software that's in this year's version. Why else would the memory have been increased from 2GB to 3GB?

The software on board the GN 10.1 2014 is much more akin to that found on the GN3 apart from the phone functionality. Hence my question.

I said it was probably in the neighborhood.

If you want an exact amount pre-release,ask MISS CLEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyHiV3l3MA

Upvote 0
It will likely vary by provider. All that bloatware (whoops, I'm sorry, "extra features") will be system apps and deduct from the overall available storage.

Fortunately, the Note 3 CAN move apps to the SD card: as long as it isn't a system app and doesn't have a widget, it can be moved. Hopefully that "25 GB" or so will go a long way for us.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't use a retailer's display model as a benchmark for how much storage is available to the user. Odds are they had it loaded up apps, music, and videos in order to show it off to customers. I worked in retail and we had some demo handsets available. One was, of course, an iPhone and we had it loaded up with some music and videos, so the amount of free storage it showed wouldn't be indicative of a pure, out-of-the-box situation.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't use a retailer's display model as a benchmark for how much storage is available to the user. Odds are they had it loaded up apps, music, and videos in order to show it off to customers. I worked in retail and we had some demo handsets available. One was, of course, an iPhone and we had it loaded up with some music and videos, so the amount of free storage it showed wouldn't be indicative of a pure, out-of-the-box situation.

Very good point, and that had occurred to me as a possibility. I hope that 25GB is a more realistic figure for the available space and that this also applies to the Note 10.1 2014, and also that we will be able to load apps to the SD card on the tablet too. It's just that I read an article that states that the Note 10.1 2014 has 14.5GB taken up by system files, which would leave only 1.5GB left for the user on the 16GB model, and that would be a dealbreaker. I would have to look at the 32GB model instead.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Interesting. Because the phone we saw in the Carphone Warehouse here in the UK - and it was unbranded - definitely only had 13.5GB of space left.

And you are positive no apps were installed? If it was a display model connected to wifi, it's very possible people tried to load apps they frequently use, just to see how they look.

Upvote 0
No, it was definitely not connected to wifi. And it was probably in blocked mode - that's what retailers tend to do these days to stop youngsters from mucking around with the phones. So what I saw was absolutely an accurate reflection of how much space was left.

As darkkterror said, it was probably loaded with all sorts of promotional software for display purposes. But that said, 25-13.5 = 11.5GB, and that's a heck of a lot of promotional software...!

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Please could people tell me how much available space there is on the Note 3 for storage (i.e. space left after the OS and preloaded software)? I watched the following unboxing on Youtube:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Unboxing and Overview - YouTube

At 12:35 into the video you see that the OS takes up 6GB and that you have 25.62GB free for storage. However when I saw the Note 3 for the first time in the shop today the system memory was showing 13GB, and after all the other software was added on there was little more than 13.5GB left for storage.

So which is correct? Both phones are 32GB models. The reason I ask is that I am planning to buy the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, and that is available in 16/32/64GB models. If the onboard software is as huge as on the Note 3, that will leave virtually no space on the 16GB version, and I would have to look at the 32GB version instead.

Thanks.

I am using the 32GB model of Note 3 and had around 25-26GB space available. I bought it off contract so no bloatware was pre-loaded on my phone. If you buy phones on contract, there are apps and bloatware pre-installed on your device to avail services regarding that career, so the total available space reduces. The OS version and features take up space and quite possibly, they ibcrease every year. The iOS 8 takes up 4.5GB and Android 4.3 takes up 6-7GB. Buying the 64GB model is worth it coz then you don't have to get an extSD card. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
I am using the 32GB model of Note 3 and had around 25-26GB space available. I bought it off contract so no bloatware was pre-loaded on my phone. If you buy phones on contract, there are apps and bloatware pre-installed on your device to avail services regarding that career, so the total available space reduces. The OS version and features take up space and quite possibly, they ibcrease every year. The iOS 8 takes up 4.5GB and Android 4.3 takes up 6-7GB. Buying the 64GB model is worth it coz then you don't have to get an extSD card. Hope that helps!

Buying "off contract" has nothing to do with the bloatware. If you buy an Unlocked non-carrier GSM version, I think that is what you're referring to.

I had 25gb available, to begin with also, on my Note 3. I'm on Sprint and purchased on contract.

And, did you realize that you're replying to a thread from 1 year ago? The reason that the phone, in the store, had so much memory taken up was due to apps installed on the store model.

Upvote 0
Buying "off contract" has nothing to do with the bloatware. If you buy an Unlocked non-carrier GSM version, I think that is what you're referring to.

I had 25gb available, to begin with also, on my Note 3. I'm on Sprint and purchased on contract.

And, did you realize that you're replying to a thread from 1 year ago? The reason that the phone, in the store, had so much memory taken up was due to apps installed on the store model.

Carriers pre-load your phone with bloatware and buying off-contract "has everything to do with bloatware". I bought my phone off contract. "Locked and unlocked" only comes into play only when you need to install a new ROM on your device. Heard of bootloader? Research it. Also, there you go, you say the "store model", the stores don't install bloatware on your phone, the carrier does.

Upvote 0
Carriers pre-load your phone with bloatware and buying off-contract "has everything to do with bloatware". I bought my phone off contract. "Locked and unlocked" only comes into play only when you need to install a new ROM on your device. Heard of bootloader? Research it. Also, there you go, you say the "store model", the stores don't install bloatware on your phone, the carrier does.

You must not be from the US. Buying off contract just means buying an unsubsidized phone at full retail, so that you're not "on contract." Those phones still have bloatware. How bout, instead of trying to make unsubstantiated insults, you do some research first. Lol

Here's a thread where they discuss bloatware on verizon. Buying off contract, doesn't eliminate carrier bloat.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x-2013/362942-verizon-moto-x-without-bloatware.html

Now, if you are referring to Google Play editions, those are off contract, however you would still need a carrier service to connect the phone. The Google Play editions come without bloatware and are unlocked gsm phones. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA providers. One cannot purchase a GSM unlcoked phone without bloatware and use it on a CDMA privider.

You are correct that the carriers have bloatware, but many people in the tech world also consider OEM UI's and additional proprietary apps to be bloatware as well, since they aren't standard Android apps. A good example is Samsungs S-Planner (or calendar) app (named differently, depending on where the phone is purchased.

Now, would you like to show me your research as to why you think that bloatware can be avoided simply by purchasing "off contract"?

Oh, and just so you can be more informed, rather than ignorant, here is some information for you to understand what the difference is between locked and unlocked cellphone. What you seem to be referring to is "root", which is not the same thing.
http://www.cnet.com/news/confused-about-locked-vs-unlocked-phones-ask-maggie-explains/

Upvote 0
Cleaned up some posts here...

Locked vs. unlocked can mean 2 different things....root related (bootloader locked/unlocked), or carrier related. (see link that drex posted). That I know.

Bloatware and can phones be purchased without it? I would need to research that and I guess it could depend on what country you are in? :dontknow:

Interesting points and links up there, so lets keep it civil yah? ;

Upvote 0
Verizon Note 3 has about 23 GB free on first boot.

It's in line with what my iPhone 5S had after installing iWork (which takes up a lot of space, admittedly).

I do have a lot of Google Apps disabled, though, and most Verizon bloatware as well - though some were replaced with Microsoft apps so a bit of that is a wash.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones