• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How often do you restart your phone?

boyo1991

Android Enthusiast
May 26, 2011
the internet.
So many of my customers misunderstand that android and phones really are a computer and to be treated as such.. you wouldn't leave your computer on all the time cuz then it would get hot and slow! So how often do you guys turn off your phones?

For me its once a day.. right away in the morning to get ready for the day without distraction.. can't turn it off at night cuz it doubles as my alarm clock haha

I never do because there's no reason or advantage for doing it. My N4 had 918 hours (38 days) on it before I rebooted to apply the 4.2.2 update.

Attachments

• Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
The last time I rebooted was last month when I had trouble getting a signal. It turned out to that I was deep inside a building and once I went outside it was fine.

Prior to that it was in December 2012 when I got the JB update. It rebooted automatically. Prior to that it was in September 2012 when I got an update that fixed some signal issues I had the month before. Prior to that it was a couple fo times in August 2012 when I had some signal issues. The update in September seemed to have fixed that. Prior to that it was July 2012 when I first got the phone and powered it on.

Upvote 0
I probably restarted my N4 4 or 5 times in the 2 months I've had it. Two of those were following upgrades the other times were when it was playing up.

My laptop doesn't get rebooted very often - maybe once a month - but I hibernate it when I'm not using it. Don't see the point of burning masses of power for absolutely no reason.

I know people say that shutting down computers reduces their life but I don't buy it as a real issue any more. It certainly used to be true of hard disks because the heads would rest on the platters and tear 'em up some when the disk restarted but that's hasn't be true in decades.

Upvote 0
Jeez some of you guys abuse your phones batteries! Lol

Not really, the batteries are designed to run all the time with regular charging cycles. The OS itself is also designed to do the same. Modern PC OS's are also capable of this with little to no performance degradation.

While the reboot is still the go to fix for 90% of problems that will turn up this isn't the old days where it was a good idea because of memory leaks and other software problems. For me my systems 99% of my reboots are because of the monthly patch update or I'm taking my laptop on a trip. Otherwise they are powered 24/7 (or at most in a sleep mode) to perform tasks while I'm away.

You should of course manage your hardware the way you see best, but I see no evidence that you get any benefit from it and quite frankly are probably wasting time over it.

Upvote 0
The last couple of phones I've got which are iCS, I don't find there's is any need to re-boot them at all. A Samsung Galaxy I had before, with Gingerbread, I would occasionally have to re-boot when it started acting funky sometimes.

I don't really have to re-boot my laptops due to slow-downs, because I'm not using Windows. I do shut them down when I'm not using them for a day or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones