• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How serious is the rebooting problem

cdmihai

Lurker
Dec 16, 2010
Hello guys,

I've decided to get an Android and write some apps for it, just for fun. After browsing the net a little, I came to the conclusion that the Desire is kinda the sweet spot at the moment :)

From what I read on countless forums, I keep stumbling over one hardware problem, in which the cpu heats and the phone enters a reboot loop until it cools. The 'solution' is to send it into service where they change the motherboard only for it to get the same problem 2,3 months later. :(

It's not just a faulty lot, it concerns all phones (design flaw).

Questions and statements:

1) Why didn't HTC issue a notice about this? (like the mass recalls in the automotive industry). If they're trying to cover it up, why doesn't the law get to them (consumer protection etc)?

2) I guess it's pointless to get a Desire at the moment.

3) Are there any other models from HTC or from other manufactures that have this bug? (cooling a 1 ghz cpu without a fan must be something hard to accomplish). In order to stay away from them, a blacklist if you will :)

Thanks

Hello guys,

I've decided to get an Android and write some apps for it, just for fun. After browsing the net a little, I came to the conclusion that the Desire is kinda the sweet spot at the moment :)

From what I read on countless forums, I keep stumbling over one hardware problem, in which the cpu heats and the phone enters a reboot loop until it cools. The 'solution' is to send it into service where they change the motherboard only for it to get the same problem 2,3 months later. :(

It's not just a faulty lot, it concerns all phones (design flaw).

Questions and statements:

1) Why didn't HTC issue a notice about this? (like the mass recalls in the automotive industry). If they're trying to cover it up, why doesn't the law get to them (consumer protection etc)?

2) I guess it's pointless to get a Desire at the moment.

3) Are there any other models from HTC or from other manufactures that have this bug? (cooling a 1 ghz cpu without a fan must be something hard to accomplish). In order to stay away from them, a blacklist if you will :)

Thanks

It doesn't affect all phones. I have had mine 7 months and have had no issues, as many here will also state.

I believe there may have been a faulty batch.

Upvote 0
Mine gets warm when used in a hot car whilst charging and using gps functions, typicaly 40 -50 degrees centigrade according to system info widget.

It's never shut down or rebooted, I've had a high temp warning once, not seen any of my friends or colleagues have a problem either in the 7 - 8 months I;ve been rolling a desire :p

Upvote 0
What on Earth gives you that idea? It's completely untrue.

All the forums that I have searched contained a topic about the rebooting problem and many posts went on the lines that it's a design flaw. That's mainly the reason I have created this thread for, to see if there are people out there who have had the phone for 7,8 months without the problem appearing.

If it is only a faulty batch, it sure would be nice for HTC to say which ones are affected ... if only not to scare away potential costumers :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
All the forums that I have searched contained a topic about the rebooting problem and many posts went on the lines that it's a design flaw. That's mainly the reason I have created this thread for, to see if there are people out there who have had the phone for 7,8 months without the problem appearing.

If it is only a faulty batch, it sure would be nice for HTC to say which ones are affected ... if only not to scare away potential costumers :rolleyes:

why when if you send it back you will get it repaired
its only an issue if you have the issue at which point you would already be worried about the reboots

of course forums get filled with issues about reboots, its one of the most widely used android phones at the moment and with it being a webcentric device you get alot of people posting their issues with it.
there will be a comparative handful of issues

Upvote 0
Had mine since the second week they were released, and have had no problems. I'va had a few occasions when I've accidentally left it unlocked before putting it into my pocket and it' started to cook itself, but no reboots.

It's a non-problem. It affected some early batches and was most likely caused by poor thermal profiling in the assembly process leading to bad joints under the processor.

Also, nobody is going to die if the phone develops the problem, so mass-recalls are out.

Reactions: cdmihai
Upvote 0
Only issue I've had is it stopped charging once as it was getting hot. To be fair, it was in June, running sat nav with gps, charging and no air con!

Actually, the only time I can remember a discussion on here about rebooting was when using sat nav with an in-car charger. My official HTC charger fills the battery very fast yet doesn't produce any excess heat on the back cover. I seem to remember problems with third party car chargers that couldn't supply enough juice, and the processor got too hot.

Upvote 0
I wonder, a year later, how many of you are still able to state that they never heard of the reboot problem with their deisre. Everyone that i said that the desire was great and bought one, is now stuck with the reboot problem (makes 4 in total) !

I own a desire that never got fixed (they void warranty for liquid damage , HUH?) and now my desire S seems to act the same way. I'm SO done with HTC, my next one is an iPhone. permanent. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I wonder, a year later, how many of you are still able to state that they never heard of the reboot problem with their deisre.

Most of us still havent had the issue.

they void warranty for liquid damage , HUH?

Perhaps your rebooting problem was down to the water damage?!

Yes, every electronics device manufacturer in the world voids warranty on water damage if the device is not supposed to be waterproof.

my next one is an iPhone. permanent. :rolleyes:

Including apple. Anyway, trolling for an argument, we wont give you the satisfaction. Enjoy your apple. Hopefully you wont get a faulty one.

Of course HTC arent the only manufacturer that offer android as an OS. My guess is you always wanted an iphone anyway, so you should just go get one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones